8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I dun get flamed for this, but would now be a good time to pick up a set of winters for a discounted price? Just curious cuz I ran the Si 2 winters with oem all seasons and I'm pretty sure for the coming winter I will definitely need a set of winters. Just wondering if now may be a good time to buy a set and store it (I know some say it's bad to just leave the tires, but don't tire factories do that anyways? Who knows when they actuall produced it and sold it to the retailer which in turn sell it to you =P) or wait till early winter (mid Oct. and buy it before the first snow storm?)

Having said that, anyone know of stores/retailers that have winters still available and possibly at a discount price?

Thx...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Tires have life to it. Usually winter tires last about 4-5 years. If you buy it now lets just say the tires were made in early 2008 and if you buy it now, you'll straight up lose 1 year of the tires life. And yes old tires are cheaper but why save that $30-50 now when you can get new tires next year. Every tire indicates when they were made on the side wall so you would be able to check before you get them to install/mount them on your car.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Tires have life to it. Usually winter tires last about 4-5 years. If you buy it now lets just say the tires were made in early 2008 and if you buy it now, you'll straight up lose 1 year of the tires life. And yes old tires are cheaper but why save that $30-50 now when you can get new tires next year. Every tire indicates when they were made on the side wall so you would be able to check before you get them to install/mount them on your car.
this man is always right

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
you totally watched that 20/20 report on tire life. lol

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
$50 bucks savings per tire is 200 bucks plus tax in total savings = other mods lol. given reasonable tread depth available, i dont think it really matters is the tire has 4 yrs of life for e.g and you are to use it over a year of that date. or does it?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
^^ i would highly doubt you'll get $50 savings per tire. I would say $50-60 a set of savings. Winter tires need to be soft to grab hold of the snow. Even with good depth of tread, if the tires are rock solid, it'll still be useless. My winter tires right now is having this problem. I dro'nt drive a lot and i've been using it for 3 years now and tread is still 80% new but its not performing like it used to already.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info!

Now I guess the next question is, does anyone know any places still selling winters. That way I can ask around and see how much the saving is going to be. If it's not a lot, then I'm guessing getting it next year is a better bet. But any saving is good, so I'll have to see and decide...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
yeh make sure they are new... if you plan to get them at the end of season.. at least made this year... or else they wont last.. says my dad...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
With the nice weather, Im sure there are alot of people itching to sell their sets, so look on kijiji or craigslist. I got my set of Seperits for $180 used, but they still have enough tread for the rest of this winter and next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts