8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story.

Because I don't live in a house, I'm not able to park my car inside the garage or anything. So that leaves me no choice but to park my car outside.

Every morning when I wake up there is a lot of fog/water on my car that I have to wipe off before I head to work/school or otherwise the sun will dry it off later in the day and leaving TONS of ugly water marks.:chill:

I've been using this towel called the "PVA Drying Towel." It is made by AquaDry and it does the job but do require a huge amount of time to get it done, and not to mention if you're not careful, you can still leave excess watermarks.:mad:

My question is what are some alternatives rather than using the Aquadry product I'm using now?
What do you guys use to dry your car after washing it?

Thank you for your time!:wavey:

EDIT: Also, this afternoon I headed to Wal-Mart and got me a Microtex "MicroFiber Car Drying Towel" for $7 and I'm gonna try it tomorrow morning and post the result.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know what you mean about parking outside and dealing with the morning dew. Unfortunately, there's really no safe way of removing the water with something that touches the car; any contact with the water mixed with the dirt and other crap that lands on your paint is gonna cause scratches. You could try a leafblower but that's probably out of the question.

I would just invest in a good wax or sealant like P21S or Collinite #845 and just wash the car every week on your day off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I started with micro fibre towels and they work ok, but it's still a 15 minute job to get it done. Drive fast...water gone.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
I have an absorber towel, but used to use regular MF towels.

The waffle weave towels are popular too.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
If you run a towel over your paint that has been sitting outside all night, you will run the risk of running dust and dirt particles over your paint surface. The best thing to do is as another has said here, wipe your windows, but don't touch your paint. Leave that for the day that you wash the car.

The alternative is to get a car cover. I used one for many years on my 16v Scirocco that sat outside all the time. Worked really well.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
distrbd said:
I squeegee the windows and never touch the paint ,as I drive it will dry.
i do the same thing, water is basically gone once i get to my job.

i just got the drying towel from Meguiar's along wit the Mitt today, once it finally stops raining i will give it a wash wit them.. but its been raining on and off the whole week. :(

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've used the PVA drying towels, chamois, and micro fiber. The best drying technique I've come up with is to go over the car with a leaf blower to get the water out of crevices, mirrors, gas cap, etc. Use a squeegee on the glass. And then dry the car with a large micro fiber drying towel. They are available in a 2x4' size and it makes the whole process much faster, like 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
KenB said:
I've used the PVA drying towels, chamois, and micro fiber. The best drying technique I've come up with is to go over the car with a leaf blower to get the water out of crevices, mirrors, gas cap, etc. Use a squeegee on the glass. And then dry the car with a large micro fiber drying towel. They are available in a 2x4' size and it makes the whole process much faster, like 5 minutes.
So, are you telling him to run a mf towel over his car that has sat out all night and has dew all over it? What about the dust that has settled on the paint and is mixed in with the dew? You'd have a nice little slurry there that would do a fine job of scratching or swirling his paint.

The OP is not asking about drying techniques for drying a car after a wash. He is looking for what to do in the morning when the dew has settled on his car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys, I'm planning to simply get a car cover, I think that will solve the problem.

What kind of car cover is good and will fit my 08 Sedan?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Get the custom one. I went to my dealer and asked about the custom car cover. It's $200. Just go back to where they sell parts and accessories.

I put it on / take it off 3 or 4 times a day. Easy as pie. Fits like a glove.

By far it is the best investment I have made.

EDIT:

Honda Ownerlink is listing the cover at $225 now.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
So, are you telling him to run a mf towel over his car that has sat out all night and has dew all over it? What about the dust that has settled on the paint and is mixed in with the dew? You'd have a nice little slurry there that would do a fine job of scratching or swirling his paint.

The OP is not asking about drying techniques for drying a car after a wash. He is looking for what to do in the morning when the dew has settled on his car.
No. Please re-read, NitrousG35.

He asked, "What do you guys use to dry your car after washing it?" and I replied.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
KenB said:
No. Please re-read, NitrousG35.

He asked, "What do you guys use to dry your car after washing it?" and I replied.

He actually said this: Every morning when I wake up there is a lot of fog/water on my car that I have to wipe off before I head to work/school or otherwise the sun will dry it off later in the day and leaving TONS of ugly water marks.

He obviously is not talking about washing his car. He is talking about the moisture that settles on the car overnight.

Your comments about properly drying a car after washing are right on. I was just commenting on the fact that it is not a good idea to drag a towel over unwashed paint where the dew and dust have settled.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
SiAzul said:
California water blade? I used to have one and it was great, to bad I lost it
Let is stay lost. All you need to do is to have a grain of sand get under the blade like it did when I was drying my black G35. Left a terrible, deep scratch that could not be buffed out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CatScratched said:
Get the custom one. I went to my dealer and asked about the custom car cover. It's $200. Just go back to where they sell parts and accessories.

I put it on / take it off 3 or 4 times a day. Easy as pie. Fits like a glove.

By far it is the best investment I have made.

EDIT:

Honda Ownerlink is listing the cover at $225 now.
I was thinking of getting this one, but I've searched around and people are saying that when it rains, the rain will go through it.:popcorn:

From your experience, what do you think of it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
He actually said this: Every morning when I wake up there is a lot of fog/water on my car that I have to wipe off before I head to work/school or otherwise the sun will dry it off later in the day and leaving TONS of ugly water marks.

He obviously is not talking about washing his car. He is talking about the moisture that settles on the car overnight.

Your comments about properly drying a car after washing are right on. I was just commenting on the fact that it is not a good idea to drag a towel over unwashed paint where the dew and dust have settled.
He asked this question and I answered. Sheesh! :iorun:

dnv said:
What do you guys use to dry your car after washing it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts