8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Deal On a 2004 RSX Type-S?????????????

so i went by a dealership today and they were offering a 2004 RSX Type-S with 56,000 miles on it all leather very clean...

they told me i could have it out the door for 15,999...

they printed me out the KBB for it and it was 15,8xx..
they were hella nice and even offered to let me take it home for the night.

im not trading in my SI just looking for a car for my wife

does that seem wayyy to high or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... the motor looks clean... if i do get it, im gonna tell them i wanna take it to a mechanic and have him check it out..

look at exhaust, intake and all the bolts to see if things were changed out swapped out.. inconsistent with mileage.. to see if someone put back on all the stock parts because that would deter me

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no its not... but i know a lot of people who take their cars back to stock when their trying to trade in...

then it looks like the car hasnt been driven hard

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so only one person have even gave input to my question...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Id switch my si for an rsx type s = P

umm im looking on ebay and craigslist and it looks like you can get better deals on there, but i bet there is nothing safer than buying from a dealer

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
they printed me out the KBB for it and it was 15,8xx..
Funny. Here in NJ, we are told by the dealers not to use KBB when buying a car because it is not realistic. They always mention Galves... Unless things are different in GA.

Galves: Better than Kelly Blue Book for used car values!

So I think you should do the same in this case. Ask to see the Galves price for that car and play games from there. Or subscribe and bring the numbers with you, the sales guys faces may get pale when you whip that paper out and the car is $1000 less than the "killer deal" they offered you!

This solidifies why I don't like buying used cars. The pricing games involved based on the used car managers beliefs, wondering about its true condition vs. one doctored for sale, etc just aren't for me. Even if I have to wait a few extra months, I prefer new. Even though I autocross my Civic a lot, you'd be hard pressed to find a car like mine owned by a 70 year old woman in better condition mechanically or cosmetically.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input

now is anyone subscribed to galves on here?

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
That's the main problem with the RSX-S; the insane resale value. I guess that's good if you bought one new, but there's not a chance in hell I'd choose a used RSX-S over a used S2000 or 350Z.

I do think that's high, but unfortunately it's about right from what I've seen.

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow thanks man... i appreciate it...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get that car for at least $14,500 - $15K if you haggle them down. My buddy is selling his Type-S, same year and just about the exact mileage (he's a little under 56k), privately for $14,500 I believe, silver with the ground effects and spoiler.

Edit - Neither are his car just ones I found on AutoTrader*

2004 Type-S $11,300 45K Miles

2004 Type-S $12K 45K Miles

2003 Type-S $12,500 with 61k Miles

2003 Type-S $10,999 49K Miles

im printing these out and taking them back to them and will show them if they wont budge...

·
Registered
802 Posts
You should. Two are private sellers and the other two are dealerships. I mean my buddy paid $16k for that 04 Type-S two years ago from an Acura dealer, no way should it be going for the same price now with more miles.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
That seems kinda high to me... for a used car... damn. Why wouldn't you just throw another few G's down and get an Si?

FWIW, I sold my 02 RSX-S with 94K miles for $10,000

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
You can easily check the bolts and screws all by yourself just by looking closely at them and inspecting for any signs of them being worked on/taken off. You can also check if the engine has been cared for by opening the valve cover oil cap and looking inside, even if the oil is slightly dark, everything around it should be clean.

Take the car for a GOOD drive (not the 5 minute ones they offer you) and warm the car up nicely (making sure to Vtec a good amount to get any carbon build up to burn off) Then, before getting onto the highway, stick it into 3rd gear @ around 4K and give about half - 3/4s throttle. Watch the RPMs as they climb and look/feel for minor vibrations or hesitation/twitching coming from the engine. Rev it up till redline and listen for any abnormalities. If the reving is smooth, this indicated good maintenance plus normal type of abuse/driving. Check the brakes @ 60mph+ to see if they are warped. Make sure its going straight and not pulling to the side.

Im a mechanic and while shopping for a car before I bought my Si, I saw this beautiful blue Type-S at a dealer. While driving it, i quickly noticed how jerky the engine was. How rough the tranny felt. Brakes were horrible, car was pulling to the side, interior was all worn out. Car had 45K on it. After inspection of the engine bay, i noticed some aftermarket stuff still on the car and most if not all the bolts showed signs of wear, indicating that it was worked on. I told the dealer how awful the car was and while I was leaving I noticed them pulling it into the shop.

You should always inspect a used sports car VERY throughly. They all get beat on. I beat the SH!T outta my Si, but it shows no signs of wear. I drive it properly and it get beyond anal maintenance.
Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Take them the other prices you've found and tell them you want a 3 year warrenty or something cuz then if anything goes wrong you're covered

1 - 20 of 30 Posts