8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents are looking at getting a new car for my sister and I was wondering what you guys would think would be a good choice.. She's 17 years old, first car, just got her license. My parents won't buy anything without it being brand new and having front/side/curtain airbags.

The mazda3 is out since there are no dealers here

Civics is out, we already have 2 06+ civs plus too many problems with the cars and dealership to get another.

Fit is out because of the crappy dealership experience we've been having and it's too small.

I really wanted her to get an older teg or RSX but my parents said it has to be new. The only thing I can really think of right now for her to get is a Scion TC or an Impreza. I was hoping to find something reasonably priced with AWD since the winters here suck and I want it to be safe in the snow. My parents are looking to spend around ~18k for the car, so any suggestions? Thanks

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Rabbit? Impreza isnt a bad choice.

I would make the drive and get a Mazda 3 i touring Auto. Have the oil changes done at a local shop.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Mazda3. find a dealer. its really a very nice car.

otherwise...xD...i hate corollas.

as far as the impreza you can walk away with a 2.5i for 17k in auto no problem but if Hondas interior qualityscares you away, i wouldnt go to Subaru. very well built mechanically but holy **** @ the interiors.

also i dont see how a Fit is smaller than a RSX or tC..

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Well AWD is great in snow, and FWD isn't bad either. I say tC is good, Tiburon is FWD too. Impreza isn't bad. Jetta is FWD, Possibly Altima, but that's too much. Best bang for your buck is either Mitsubishi Lancer -or- Subaru Impreza.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
tc or corolla s...

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first choice was the Mazda3 as well.. but considering my car has been in the shop numerous times since I've gotten it, the same could happen to the mazda, and then we'd have an hour drive to get it up there, assuming it was driveable.

The fit just looks small, maybe it isn't. It just looks like a tiny minivan. Plus the dealership experience hasn't been the best so no more Hondas for a while. I'm pushing for either the TC, imprezza or a VW jetta/rabbit. Even the new focus doesn't look too bad.. thanks for the input fellas

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
i would look at an xD and see if thats too small. traction control is an option which is not something you see on most cars under 20k including the tC.

i dont think 4wd is needed.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Normally I would say AWD isn't needed but lately I've been changing my mind. My sister's 06 Civic LX (my previous car) can barely stay on the road with a $550 set of Blizzaks on it. My car (07 SI sedan) was all over the road last time I drove, and this was on less than 2 inches of fresh powder. I really wanna go take a WRX out right now during this snow storm and see how it does :p

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
Normally I would say AWD isn't needed but lately I've been changing my mind. My sister's 06 Civic LX (my previous car) can barely stay on the road with a $550 set of Blizzaks on it. My car (07 SI sedan) was all over the road last time I drove, and this was on less than 2 inches of fresh powder. I really wanna go take a WRX out right now during this snow storm and see how it does :p

How fast are u 2 going....I had no problem keeping my Corolla on the road thru about 2 ft of snow..and I was lowered running stock 14's with stock tires.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ I would literally **** my pants if my little sister got a new-ish lexus of any kind.

How fast are u 2 going....I had no problem keeping my Corolla on the road thru about 2 ft of snow..and I was lowered running stock 14's with stock tires.
My sister who drives the LX is probably the slowest/carefullest driver EVER. It's frustrating to ride with her just because she's usually 5ish mph under the limit.

As for myself, so far I've had two slide-outs both at under 10 mph. The first was leaving my work parking lot at less than 5 mph and when I turned, the car just kept sliding right into the curb on the other side of the road. And then just yesterday I was making a turn at about 7-8 mph and about half way through the turn the car just started sliding forward and into the other lane, where a lady was coming towards me. She was going super slow, though, and just stopped while I looked like a fool..

1 - 20 of 69 Posts