8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am thinking about doing a retrofit and i was wondering what are the most common parts that everyone uses on this site b/c i am fairly new to this whole retrofit thing... also where do you guys purchase the parts that are needed to complete this project.... thanks :biggrin:

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
nycboy7 said:
ok i am thinking about doing a retrofit and i was wondering what are the most common parts that everyone uses on this site b/c i am fairly new to this whole retrofit thing... also where do you guys purchase the parts that are needed to complete this project.... thanks :biggrin:
you should be able to find everything here along with examples of others: http://www.customlightz.com/groupbuy/index.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm gonna be doing my retro this weekend.

04-05 TSX clear lens projectors
Philips 85122 d2s bulbs
MDX shrouds
McCulloch kit ballasts with d2s adapters (these have been working fine for a long time now, but will be replaced sooner or later with oem ballasts)

Search here on 8thcivic, HIDplanet.com, and ebay for parts.

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
i say go with SC430 or S2k projectors over the TSX projectors, yes they are good projectors that infact is what i have, but i wish i would have gotten s2k or SC430 projectors. as for ballast i recomend oem

·
Registered
253 Posts
pineapple said:
i say go with SC430 or S2k projectors over the TSX projectors, yes they are good projectors that infact is what i have, but i wish i would have gotten s2k or SC430 projectors. as for ballast i recomend oem

Why would you have rather gone with the S2K projectors ... what makes them better than the tsx's? (Im new to retrofits as well ... so help me out)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The popular S2K projectors are the AP1 (2000-2003) projectors since their cutoff is so sharp. The TSX projectors goes softer on the right side, allowing for more light dispersion on the right side (good for road signs). I love my TSX projectors, but do also wish to have gotten the AP1s just because I like how large the lens looks. :D

There's nothing wrong with TSX, their cutoff is good, just people prefer the S2ks. I like mine, and they're TSX -- the only I do notice is the right-side softness, but it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
the S2k projectors project fwd further, and they project further to the left and right. my tsx projectors i can clearly see the cut off in three lanes, with the s2k projectors you will clearly be able tell for about 5 lanes. as when they project further fwd you can see the cut off more clear. my tsx projectors start to get blury beyond like 50 feet back

by no means do i mean tsx projectors are bad, i just wish i would have been able to find a set of s2k or sc430 projectors when i did my retro

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
pineapple said:
the S2k projectors project fwd further, and they project further to the left and right. my tsx projectors i can clearly see the cut off in three lanes, with the s2k projectors you will clearly be able tell for about 5 lanes. as when they project further fwd you can see the cut off more clear. my tsx projectors start to get blury beyond like 50 feet back

by no means do i mean tsx projectors are bad, i just wish i would have been able to find a set of s2k or sc430 projectors when i did my retro
That's one thing I've noticed too. My friend's AP1 stays very sharp for very far, while mine tend to diffuse faster...but maybe t's just my eyes. I think that the TSX goes wide enough, actually, though I will always love the TL + ZKW combo as well....

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
my tsx project pretty good left to right, but i like to hug corners so i want to be able to see an upcoming corner

·
Registered
728 Posts
From customlightz.com: "everybody has up to September 30th to send in their headlights, and the HID parts; unless you are purchasing them from us."

Does that mean we can buy the actual headlights from them? or we still have to supply our own?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Well, striker had the brilliant idea of revolving headlights with members so that people can get their retrofits done without having their car in the tank for a week. I can loan mine out too, just pay the shipping to and from CustomLightz and you can use mine, provided you ship me yours when you get your retros.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quick question for everyone that has done a retrofit is it really that hard to do a complete retrofit.... like what would you rate the difficulty of a retrofit on a scale from 1-10 10 being the hardest???

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
nycboy7 said:
quick question for everyone that has done a retrofit is it really that hard to do a complete retrofit.... like what would you rate the difficulty of a retrofit on a scale from 1-10 10 being the hardest???
if you're new then i'd rate it a 11 out of 10.
if you have some experience then it's a 3.

And no, there's nothing wrong with tsx but if you want more width(tsx only offer 3-4 lane), s2k's are pretty good.
With s2k's, you'd own the road.
But if you want more light than bmw, audi, infiniti and lexus, then go with the tsx.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
caveman74 said:
Here is a width pic of my SC430. Not the greatest pic, but the width on the roads is 7-8 lanes wide. SC430 is VERY close to the S2K

more pics please.that looks good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nothing wrong with TSX projectors. They are actually one of the better single xenon projectors out there. For half to a third the price, of course the TSX aren't going to be as good as the S2k. If you've got the budget then by all means go S2k.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts