8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to test drive an Si and a GTI this afternoon. Anyone got any tips for me, words of wisdom, and things to look for? :redface:

I don't like the hatchback but thought I would test drive the GTI anyway so that I know I'm not making a decision on its outside alone, maybe I'll even fall in love with the GTI after I test drive it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
DSG or manual? the GTI is a hot car. Comes down to what you like. With the GTI you get, heated seats, HIDS, Leather, and some other features, but its more expensive, but more easily tunable due to the turbo and software.

The si has vtec, the motor sounds better IMO.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
alpha said:
I'm going to try to test drive an Si and a GTI this afternoon. Anyone got any tips for me, words of wisdom, and things to look for? :redface:

I don't like the hatchback but thought I would test drive the GTI anyway so that I know I'm not making a decision on its outside alone, maybe I'll even fall in love with the GTI after I test drive it.
Enjoy your new GTI. LOL.

They both have their flaws and high points. Performance-wise I think the GTI is a better car. The SI is decent in performance and the styling is much better. Plus it's Honda quality vs. Volkswagon. So pick your poison.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
does the new GTI come in a nonhatchback type model on the new ones? could have sworn i saw one yesterday if it does that sucks cuz then i would looked into that instead of going straight for the si

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
achapman said:
DSG or manual?
I think manual. I am a stick shift newb though. My bro-in-law let me and taught me the basics last weekend in his g35 coupe. I always thought the most difficult thing would be to get used to the idea of the clutch and stick. After I tried it, I never realized the hardest part was getting the car to move!

Having driven no other stick shift car, are clutches about the same across different cars? I thought that the G35 clutch was rather deep and took more pressure than I anticipated to depress it. Considering I'm a stick shift newb, is the Si a good car for first time manual drivers?

jeremy0203 said:
does the new GTI come in a nonhatchback type model on the new ones? could have sworn i saw one yesterday if it does that sucks cuz then i would looked into that instead of going straight for the si
I just don't know what it is about the hatchbacks... I am just not a fan of cars that have any resemblance to a box like that Scion "box" and Honda Element. No offense to those drivers.

sgtpruitt said:
Plus it's Honda quality vs. Volkswagon.
Which one tend to cause more trouble in the short/long run?

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
v-dubs generally have more problems in the long run than honda's, especially with their electrical systems. I've only known one person with a volkswagon whos car didn't break down.. On the other side, I've only known one person with a honda whos car did break down.

I still love the styling of volkswagons though.. I think they're easily some of the best looking cars on the road.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
jeremy0203 said:
its a Jetta GLI.. almost got one.. good car, fun to drive. i love the interior of it just wasnt a fan of the new body style

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Si's clutch is about as light as it gets. Very easy to drive compared to a LOT of other cars I've driven. VW Jetta/GTI is considerably heavier in my opinion. Si is about the easiest car to drive out there from my perspective.

If you want reliability with good performance, buy the Si. If styling and performance is higher up on your list, buy the GTI.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
on a side note:

i like the VW commercials, how they go after ford, honda, mitsubishi.

**video link**

does any well known reliable company really use smear tactics? well i leave the audience to decide that.

all i know is those 3 compiled commercials for VW make laugh.

"Vdub representing deutsch luuund." (from vid 1)

"Vdub holding it down on the enginnerrring tip yaaa'll" (from vid 2)

"OH SNAP! German ENGINEERING in howwwse!" (form vid 3)

love those commercials they make me laugh

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I personally liked all the v-dub commercials that had the accidents in them. Every one of them (when they first came out) caught me off guard the first time I saw them.
They definitely have good marketing, there's no denying that.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
It's kind of hard to get a real feel for the SI on a test-drive because if your salesman/woman is like mine, s/he will want you to shift before the VTEC engagement comes into play.. and without that, it's a regular civic power-wise.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If your buying and keeping I would recommend the Si but if its for a short term then the GTI for sure. In the long run your gonna have alot of electrical and interior issues and after warranty is up it will be expensive as hell to fix. The honda on the other hand I think the problems you notice at first will be the same ones 5 years from now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I test drove both. I just felt for the value, the Si was the better car. It feels roomier inside, handles better, and has a much better stock audio system. The GTI audio is soooo disappointing. Granted you could go aftermarket, but when I was shopping cars, I knew I'd be keeping my car stock for a while so it did play into my decision. The Si defiintely has less bells and whistles, which is what your paying for in the GTI, which for me, I wanted something simple, great handling, good performance for the money.

I liked the luxury aspects of the GTI. HIDs, speed limiters, DSG, nicer looking interior. Also the torque of the GTI, but I the lack of torque in the civic keeps my driving behavior in check and my gas mileage up. I could also just wind up the Si.

However, once you add in the things you want, I paid 20K for my Si where I was looking at 23-24K+ for the GTI and that was cloth 6spd manual. Leather, DSG which what I wanted -was close to 30K.

Plus after seeing the cost difference in parts between european cars and japanese cars, factoring in reliability. I went Si. I've also seen far too many GTI's (older models) go up in flames.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a Jetta 2.5 package 2 before the SI. The main thing I liked better was the seats in the Jetta/ GTI go back much, much farther than the SI. Being almost 6'4, that was important to me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Si...Better car

VDub. Turd.

although the si has a lack of torque, once the vtek kicks in its a faster car.

The si does a faster quarter mile with 60 lb ft of less torque.

once you drive the Si on your own with no rules, youll learn which on is better. trust me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts