8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo wsup guys. I recently installed Godspeed Mono SS on my 06 civic sedan.Lowered 2.5 inches. The fronts are 10k springf rate and the backs are 8k. I have the dampening at 6stiff on the fronts and 8 on the back stiff. Not sure if I have to wait for the springs to settle or its because the preload got messed up during installation. Please provide your input because Im have the hardest time driving the car daily

·
Registered
164 Posts
It will be near impossible to tell what the issues is based on the description you gave. In order to know we would need to see some sort of go-pro footage of the suspension while driving. Last I checked the rates were 8k front and 10k back also. Chances are the shocks are underdamped so turn the front shocks stiffer. Drive the car and once the front is set where you like then adjust the back stiff enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be near impossible to tell what the issues is based on the description you gave. In order to know we would need to see some sort of go-pro footage of the suspension while driving. Last I checked the rates were 8k front and 10k back also. Chances are the shocks are underdamped so turn the front shocks stiffer. Drive the car and once the front is set where you like then adjust the back stiff enough.
The coils I believe has 16 dampening levels setting, soft/stiff. I maxed them out on stiff and lowered to soft. It really feels like the spring is jumping up and down even though its locked with the perks. The car bounces and bounces, and when I brake, it bounces for a little bit and then stops. Im not sure if preload has anything to do with it. Or the ride height. Its like a massage chair, a really annoying massage chair

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Good change it's your tire sidewall. Jounce the car and watch the tires sidewall... if you see the car bounce on the sidewall, then good chance that's it. In order to fix that, you have to go softer on the shocks... go full soft on the shocks.... it should help. If may feel a little too soft, so go stiffer until you clean it up... maybe only a couple clicks? Hard to say. But you'll get to the point where the tire sidewall is bouncing because it's like an un-damped spring.

This is a common issue on street car...especially on stock or similar tires. Hope that helps.
Chris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Hard to say from the info we have. I'd also recommend double checking the preload. I've ridden in cars with the springs all the way decompressed (aka no preload) and it felt very bouncy.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Preload is not a tuning mechanism.... when the spring is all the way decompressed at full droop, it's not the spring preload that can make it bouncy. Instead it's the fact that you are getting into the bump stops or something else.

You want only around 1/4" of preload.....any additional preload beyond what is needed to hold the spring in place at full droop is too much. People talk about adding preload to make the car feel a certain way, but once the car is on the ground, it doesn't matter what the spring preload was.... the spring is compressed the same amount when the car is on the ground, no matter what the preload was. So why limit droop?

Chris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
With my set of coilovers I noticed the preload had more to do with how the car leaned. For instance, without any preload set I was rubbing fender into tire around hard turns. Once I set the preload to proper spec, I noticed my rubbing issue went away. I could have sworn there was a slightly positive change in ride quality too with less bounce. Under hard cornering I imagine the spring does compress and decompress a bit with the shock.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
hmmm... I honestly don't understand what was happening then. Are you increasing spring preload by raising the spring perch under the spring without making any other adjustments? That would raise the car, which would slightly improve ride and fender rubbing.

If you adjust preload by turning the shock body when the front strut is mounted on the car so both the top (lower spring perch) and bottom (lower strut bracket) are adjusted at the same time, then you are increasing spring preload without significantly increasing ride height. The only real changes are:
1) the shock piston position in the housing and how much the nitrogen pressure in the shock is pushing the piston outward.
2) the effective shock body length, which affects when it hits the bumpstop.

It's hard to tell anything for sure without being there to see it in person.... but generally I don't consider spring preload to be a tuning tool because really all it does it limits droop travel.... which is how far the tire can extend away from the car before it stops, and generally you don't want to limit that because if you hit it, then you have traction issues.

Chris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Are you increasing spring preload by raising the spring perch under the spring without making any other adjustments? That would raise the car, which would slightly improve ride and fender rubbing.
I think this is exactly what was happening. I raised the spring perch underneath the spring to change the effective length and kept everything else equal, which slightly improved ride quality and rubbing. I never made any other adjustments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday but mine is really bouncy. It mostly I feel like it is on the back. I haven't adjusted anything on the front but the rear, we had adjusted it shorter along with the lock nut/ring. At first I thought because I had the dampners set to soft on the back but even when on stiff it is still really bouncy. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
164 Posts
What got rid of the bounciness of mine was those two rubber looking dome removed from the car. It's not as bouncy anymore however it doesnt firm. I messed around with the preload on the rear, adding about half an inch on the spring perch. I dont feel much of a difference from having no preload. Does an alignment could also affect the ride of the car?

·
Registered
542 Posts
It might be worth it for you to at least save up an extra $100 to pick up the Mono-RS instead. They just have a little more adjust-ability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday but mine is really bouncy. It mostly I feel like it is on the back. I haven't adjusted anything on the front but the rear, we had adjusted it shorter along with the lock nut/ring. At first I thought because I had the dampners set to soft on the back but even when on stiff it is still really bouncy. Any suggestions?
I have the same problem.. could it be something to do with a bump stop or is that just how they are??

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the same problem.. could it be something to do with a bump stop or is that just how they are??
You probably need to do some adjusting with the shocks. If the ride is very bouncy it (most likely) means that your springs are doing all the work and the shock isn't engaging during the suspension travel enough to dampen the bounces. So just keep the springs as is and extend the shocks a little bit and see if that helps. If you hit the bump stop a lot then that means that your shocks are extended too far and your springs aren't doing enough of the work, and you are putting undue stress on the shocks.

If you were bouncing of off the bump stop it would be a pretty hard bounce. The bump stop just keeps the shock from completely bottoming out, so it's a pretty abrupt "thud" when you hit the bump stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yo wsup guys. I recently installed Godspeed Mono SS on my 06 civic sedan.Lowered 2.5 inches. The fronts are 10k springf rate and the backs are 8k. I have the dampening at 6stiff on the fronts and 8 on the back stiff. Not sure if I have to wait for the springs to settle or its because the preload got messed up during installation. Please provide your input because Im have the hardest time driving the car daily
for the rear on Godspeed is it clockwise to stiffen or Counter clockwise?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts