8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto News said:
DETROIT -- General Motors, focusing on mainstream products in a battle to survive, has scrapped a unit that produced high-performance vehicles.

GM today disbanded High Performance Vehicle Operations, which is based at the company’s suburban Detroit technical center, and redeployed its engineers, said spokesman Vince Muniga.

“All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold,” Muniga said. “The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs.”

The unit created low-volume vehicles for GM’s divisions designed to appeal to enthusiasts and bolster the company’s image. Products included V-series Cadillacs and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and a V-8 version of the Colorado.

Muniga said there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming cars.The move is in the spirit of GM’s viability plan delivered to the U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday. In the plan, GM said its future-product focus is on fuel- efficient cars and crossovers. It also pledged to increase its current offering of six hybrids to 14 by 2012 and to 26 by 2014. GM also boosted its request for federal aid by as much as $16.6 billion.

The High Performance Vehicle Operations unit could be reinstated once GM regains its financial health, GM’s Muniga said.

“These guys are pretty good at what they do,” Muniga said, “They are moving into different areas to work on core products.”

GM has just become even less appealing for the youthful. It seems like if you want a sporty car from GM in the future, you are going to have to buy either a Camaro or a Corvette.

Toyota did this YEARS ago, got rid of the Supra, Celica, MR2 and it seems to have helped them out quite a bit. Look where they are today!

I hope it works out for GM's financial security, but at the same time its a great loss for car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all honestly, we've experienced some utterly amazing and phenominal cars in in the passed two decades (early 90's to late 00's) Ferrari F40, F50, Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, Pagani Zonda, Lamborghini LP640, Porsche Carrera GT, Mercedes-Benz SLR, Jaguar XJ220, Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Chevy ZR-1, Nissan GT-R... ect, the list goes on.

We are at a time now that emissions are getting harder and harder for manufactures to pass. We probably won't see many cars like the Bugatti Veyron, Corvette ZR-1, Nissan GT-R for quite some time after they are done being produced. It's not like sports cars make a lot of money for companies, in most cases they take a loss or very little gain in profit. Bugatti loses money on every Veyron they sell even though they cost over 1.5 million. We are just lucky that VW/Audi has big pockets for projects like these.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
same for Honda, they got rid of the NSX and rumor's saying the s2k is next.
s2k is dead.....the send out a sales bulletin to my boss at my dealership a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
610 Posts
guys making a big deal out of nothing...

can get a CAMARO or a CORVETTE and GM Performance Parts is still around.
No kidding, but the risk is these guys will take their expertise elsewhere in the automotive world. It's happened almost every time an automaker has scaled back their performance product lines. GM has some talented staff in the HPVO.

I don't oppose the decision though... you can only polish a turd so far before a core improvement is needed.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I am saddened by this. Some of you guys need to rethink this. If GM pulls out of the high performance market and with Honda dropping the S2000, the market is shrinking. A smaller market means less competition, which means that other companies may be less willing to produce products for that market unless they have something that everybody wants.

I am sure that GM made a case for the Camaro because sales of the Mustang are good. Imagine if either Mitsubishi or Subaru stopped producing the EvoX or STi. The company left would have less of a business case to continue making their model.

If we truly embrace high performance, we should celebrate when companies produce performance cars. Even if we don't want to buy a particular model from a company, we should still be glad that we have that option to do so.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
I am saddened by this. Some of you guys need to rethink this. If GM pulls out of the high performance market and with Honda dropping the S2000, the market is shrinking. A smaller market means less competition, which means that other companies may be less willing to produce products for that market unless they have something that everybody wants.

I am sure that GM made a case for the Camaro because sales of the Mustang are good. Imagine if either Mitsubishi or Subaru stopped producing the EvoX or STi. The company left would have less of a business case to continue making their model.

If we truly embrace high performance, we should celebrate when companies produce performance cars. Even if we don't want to buy a particular model from a company, we should still be glad that we have that option to do so.

I agree 100% with the Above its sad to see a performance division of a company falter under this crappy economy. I fear the Si is next

·
Registered
610 Posts

This is a temporary move to allow GM to fix its bottom line. The Halo effect only goes so far, and GM's sales have historically slumped in just about every mainstream category. HPVO is not a profit generator, so it has to go. It will come back when the base brand is of sufficient merit.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
This is a temporary move to allow GM to fix its bottom line. The Halo effect only goes so far, and GM's sales have historically slumped in just about every mainstream category. HPVO is not a profit generator, so it has to go. It will come back when the base brand is of sufficient merit.
Oh, I am well aware that GM is going after the bottom line. They have to. Looks like Saturn will soon get the axe and as of today, Pontiac was in jeopardy. GM still has the Corvette and the upcoming Camaro, so they are far from dropping out of the performance market.

I just hate to see things like this happen. When SVT stopped production, it was kind of sad because they were the performance aspect of Ford. Same goes for GM Performance. Whether people like the Cobalt SS or not, they have to agree that the performance is pretty outstanding for a car of its price.

Most of you guys are too young to remember that bad old 70's, but after 1971, there was a dramatic curtailment of performance cars. The manufacturers had to meet emissions and safety rules. The cars became emasculated and basically performance meant slapping a screaming chicken onto the hood of a Pontiac Firebird. After having lived through the heady 60's, the 70's was a real downer. I don't see anything quite like that, but I do see a greater emphasis on efficiency, safety and image rather than on hardcore performance in the near future.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts

You beat me to it. To water what you said down and simplify it:

All of you guys bitching at Honda about the Si need to re-think your comments about "awesome! No more slowbalt!". If there is no Cobalt SS where is Hondas motivation to turn the Si into a "turbo-from-the-factory, 260HP" beast? There won't be. Believe it or not, it's a lot of GMs performance cars that stir the mix up a little bit more. So before you say "good riddance" you may want to think about what HONDA is thinking about all of this.

Just one more excuse for Honda to continue to Go Green... so they don't lose their piece of that market niche that they've already put a bunch of money into.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.