8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok before the flamng starts (hopefullly none)
ive done some research.
i think im going to lean with Tokico HP w/either TEIN S-Techs or Eibach Sportlines.

But i want to see what others think? What are you opinions on the Tokico's and the HPF setup?

i know some pros and cons, what do you suspension heads know?

lets hear it 8th members! (well actually this will help me out)

-m-

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Tokico's dont work well with aftermarket springs since they are built to work with the rates of the oem springs. If you want Eibach springs wait till the Koni yellows come out. They are adjustable with a simple twist of a knob which makes them far more versatile regarding spring compatability. I just oredered my HFP suspension kit a few days ago though:dancing:, so when it comes in i'll bolt it on and let you know how it rides.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tokico's dont work well with aftermarket springs since they are built to work with the rates of the oem springs. If you want Eibach springs wait till the Koni yellows come out. They are adjustable with a simple twist of a knob which makes them far more versatile regarding spring compatability. I just oredered my HFP suspension kit a few days ago though:dancing:, so when it comes in i'll bolt it on and let you know how it rides.:thumb:
cool man i heard good things about the HPF!
but i want the drop and the handling..lol
i cant afford coilovers...

hmm i might just wait for the Koni yellows and see how people do with it.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have the HFP setup and couldn't be happier. When I first installed it the ride felt stiffer, but now that it's settled and I've gotten used to it it's really quite comfortable. You can feel the difference in steering response and stability, and body roll is significantly reduced (for what that's worth).

But the main point to consider is the one that people have already brought up: this is the only suspension setup to come out so far that was specifically designed for this car. The spring rates and damping rates were developed together based on Honda's knowledge of the car's mechanical characteristics. And the fact that it's OEM quality means a lot in a world full of cost-cutting manufacturing procedures.

So my vote is going to be with HFP until a company gets serious about developing another solution that offers comparable quality and engineering.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
...But the main point to consider is the one that people have already brought up: this is the only suspension setup to come out so far that was specifically designed for this car. The spring rates and damping rates were developed together based on Honda's knowledge of the car's mechanical characteristics. And the fact that it's OEM quality means a lot in a world full of cost-cutting manufacturing procedures.

:wavey: :iorun: :dancing:

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Tokico's dont work well with aftermarket springs since they are built to work with the rates of the oem springs.
That actually isn't true. TOKICO HP's were designed to work with lowering springs, especially a spring like an Eibach Pro Kit. They are valved 20-50% more aggressively than OE depending on each application and are specifically designed to work with lowering springs.

To the OP TOKICO's would be a great shock to use with your lowering spring, as long as it isn't Skunk2. Skunk2 springs are very aggressive and not too many shocks work well with them. KONI's can be used with them.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
That actually isn't true. TOKICO HP's were designed to work with lowering springs, especially a spring like an Eibach Pro Kit. They are valved 20-50% more aggressively than OE depending on each application and are specifically designed to work with lowering springs.

To the OP TOKICO's would be a great shock to use with your lowering spring, as long as it isn't Skunk2. Skunk2 springs are very aggressive and not too many shocks work well with them. KONI's can be used with them.
yeah, just got my eibach sportline/tokico blue combo in the mail. ill post results in the future.

tokicos were developed with the aftermarket spring in mind. and the sportline is pretty close to stock in terms of springrate.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Rippars also recently ordered Tokico's.

I'm interested to hear the responses. I am in the market for a shock/spring setup and Tokico's and the HFP suspension top my list.

I'd love to get some Koni's but waiting indefinitely isn't what I want to do. I may try calling Koni and seeing if I can get any information out of them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
and the sportline is pretty close to stock in terms of springrate.
That's the problem HiRev1, myself, and a few others have been preaching about for over a year now.

Here's a spring that isn't all that much stiffer than stock, I think the numbers were within 25% of the OEM rates iirc. YET... the lowering is very aggressive, bordering on the 1.75 mark. That's almost 2" less shock travel being used with a spring that isn't much more than a shorter, slightly stiffer HFP spring.

Good luck with that.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.