8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend any products or a way to clean the entire interior of my car? Last week I was bringing home some old food containers from work and forgot them in my trunk. Two days later there was a weird smell in my car, kind of like sour sphagetti sauce. Apparently one of the containers popped open and spilled in the corner of my trunk. i wiped it up, used some oxy cleaner thing, and febreezed the whole car.

One week later the smell is still there, I can't tell if its the original smell or the febreeze (the auto one smells terrible).

·
Registered
104 Posts
To get rid of the odor you have to clean the spill area completely. If you said that it spilled in the corner of your trunk your going to have to use and extractor and shampoo the trunk up. The spill probably has penetrated through the panel and went beneath it so you could also take it all out and wipe everything down with any type of APC. Spraying any type of fragrance like febreeze and such will not remove the odor but just mask it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A box of baking soda for 50 cents. leave it in ur car for 24 hours or less, vaccuum it and BAM smell is gone lol. I tried it actually does work after some of my friends leaving unknown food in my car for 3 days... Smelled like sweaty socks that wont go away. TY baking soda

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If none of the above work go to a dealership and ask for a ozone treatment. It's what we use to get stubborn smells out such as smoke from cigarettes and soccer mom vans that smell like ass inside. It will make your car smell like pool water for a bit, but it does a good job on the smell lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Odor bomb just covers the smell and is still there haha. Yah dealerships have the stuff the clean out the smell right but all they do is shampoo and clean the carpets with industrial stuff made just for cars materials be prepared to pay a pretty penny though. Is it me or does the civic si fabric absorb smell fast because I brought wingstop to go in my car and drove five minutes and the smell was in there for two days lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Baking soda does works... You can also try putting a charcoal in a container and leave it inside your car overnight, it will help absorb the odor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Odor bomb just covers the smell and is still there haha. Yah dealerships have the stuff the clean out the smell right but all they do is shampoo and clean the carpets with industrial stuff made just for cars materials be prepared to pay a pretty penny though. Is it me or does the civic si fabric absorb smell fast because I brought wingstop to go in my car and drove five minutes and the smell was in there for two days lol.
I agree with this!

·
Registered
921 Posts
spilled some milk on the g35 trunk mat (carpet trunk mat btw). the facking cap was open exchanged it nonetheless. but anyways. CARPET FRESH w/ baking soda. sprayed it down with oxyclean as u did and scrubbed as much as possible. laid down carpet fresh let it sit there for a week. vaccuumed it and gone. Plus taht stuff is sos trong kept the whle car smelling fresh for a while.

and i got it from the dollar store literally laid out half the container. shoot it was onle a dollar

·
Registered
148 Posts
charcoal ftw. also Damp Rid. Damp rid is used to remove moisture from the air but it does a DAMN good job at absorbing smells.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Glad I found this thread with the good ideas, I will try the baking soda, I am currently up at a Car wash company that does deluxe cleaning and has deluxe interior cleaning, so I am getting that. I bought a used Honda CRV and the car is nice (I still have my Si) , but smells like smoke or possibly marijuana (the car wash company said this). They are cleaning it now, and I will see about also using the baking soda or another powerful freshner if necessary. The previous owner did not take care of the car and seemed to smoke marijuana in it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts