8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to get my rims at the end of the summer becuase I can afford them now. I have a black coupe and I want to get some black cap rims with the chrome lip. However, I do not know what is a good rim to get to achieve this.

Those of you who have black cap rims with the chrome lip on a black civic, got and recomendations? Can you post some picks of what it looks like?

I think I have decided on a 225/40/18. Found in one of the other stickys the comparison link, which was so helpful. Good to know at 60mph, I would really be going 60.5mph. Not bad.

Can some of you post pics of a coupe with 225/40/18s so I can get a feel for how it will fit and look. Those of you with a black coupe and black/chrome rims, pics would we awesome.

Just want to get a feel for how it will look before I spend all this money on them.

Can someone also explain the concept of offset? Have no clue here...

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I would stick with a 18x8 rim with no lower then a 30 offset unless your a hellaflush fan its a good in between offset and width they will still look great..

Look at konig or enkei and see what they offer but it also depends on your budget..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the width on the stock rims? Offsets I still have no clue about. I cant find the wiki post on it with a lot of pictures to fit my learning style.

Enkei has a few that have caught my eye, I am constantly looking at them. Seem like a champ so far.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Offset I still don't really understand but I know that I have had 18's before and I have gone back to stock 17's (painted them tho) because I learned I like more sidewall. I run GMR all the time because I live close to it and I just like the feel better with the 17" rim that's my opinion. I guess it's up to what you really want just my 2 cents

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Stock offset is 45 and its sunk in the wheel well 35 will poke out more being more aggresive looking..

If your going with 18"s def use a 225/40/18 tire..

If you want pm your cell or something and I can help you a lot quicker with links n stuff..

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Offset can move the wheels in towards the body or usually out from the body so the tires line up even with the edge of the fender and sit farther apart from each other to give a wider stance. Think of offset as pushing all of the lug nuts deeper into the rim and pulling the tire out towards the edge of the fender.

This can also be acheived with wheel spacers but it is better to change the offset of the rim.

Changing the offset from factory puts more stress on the wheel bearings and axel, but it should handle and look better.

It is illegal in PA to have the tires sticking out past the body. I think in South Carolina they can drive actual monster trucks on their roads, but it has been a while since I have been to Hilton Head island.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Also if you change the overall diameter of the tire the speedometer is going to be off.

But doh, we have digital speedometers so I would think they could be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok i see what you mean now for the offset. I really dont want the wheels sticking out past the fender. what is stock width on the tire? 205 or 225?

So i can either do a 225/40/18 with no gapping, or do a 225/40/17 and have gap and lower the car? Pictures anyone?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thats the size calcuator I found in another topic.

225/40/18
Stock 60mph - New 60.5mph

225/40/17
Stock 60mph - New 58.1mph

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
215/45/R17 stock size.

Recommended Summer package 215/40/R18

I would run the 225/40 on the 18 inch rims in the summer and get 225/45/R17 bridgestone blizzaks for the winter on the 17 inch stock rims.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the usual cost for a "good quality at a cheap price" wheel/tire package? The lowest I have found so far is about $960

JEB, I got an LX and they have stock 16"...im guessing the Si has 17s? Still kicking myself for not getting an Si

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yes the Si comes with 17 inch rims. I was thinking about going with the Enkei PF01 in 18x8 with a 40 offset for $1225 and wrap them with Hankook Ventus evo 225/40ZR18 XL tires for another $480 = $1705 from tirerack who has a sponsored forum on here just for these types of questions. Not sure how much wider I can go on a 18x8 without it rubbing on a stock suspension? Same as Will06Si basically.

You could get a deal on here for Si rims or HFP rims + tires which I think would look great on a LX.

Here is a link to the car and driver tire comparision tests.

Just don't get stuck with some cheezy wheels because you went cheap. Nothing wrong with the stock wheels. Just need a summer package which is usually an inch bigger wheel and a lower profile tire to acheive the same overall diameter, while creating less tire roll (performance) and your supposed to get better gas mileage because it is harder. Use the stock wheels for real winter tires instead of all-season tires, if it snows bad where you live.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ya know this next winter will be my first winter with VSA and ABS and I am interested to see how it will handle with slippery tires. I know winter tires will make a big difference and the car will use the safety features less and feel basically normal. I drove the same Celica GT 5 speed for 20 years and it had none of the safety features the Civic has. Supposed to individually brake wheels to stop from spin outs so I am interested to feel exactly what it does in the snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts