8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting my license in 3 days. Any tips, suggestions, have you failed?

Hey guys what's up?
I am now 16 and get my license in 3 days. I've taken all my driver's ed (required in Georgia), gotten my ADAP, certificate of attendance, you know the drill (probably). There is only one thing I was kinda concerned about. Well actually a few things.
The kids at my school say that if you go 1 over you fail. B.S.?
Also at a stop sign/red light am I aloud to pop it into neutral and rest my clutch foot? I know it's not legal to coast in neutral here, but I'll just watch myself for that test.
and there is one more thing.
We have to maintain a speed at 10 M.P.H. This I know my car and it's behavior like the back of my hand, but we all know there are times we sit behind the wheel and see how far we can keep the same speed (just because that digital speedometer is simply entertaining, lol) and sometimes we just mess up. Maintaining 10 M.P.h. is just iffy to me, because I'll have to use 1st gear which is extremely sensitive and I'll be shaky and nervous, and 2nd gear won't work just because I have no low end torque at all. (r18) The speedometer in this car gives me no le-way on speed. It just changes, it doesn't show sign of going any slower or faster. Should I just plan to fail this portion?
I would drive my brother's srt-4 but His clutch sucks and it will burn out any of these days, and I am not gonna sit there and drop the clutch every gear to preserve the clutch for my instructor =b. Not to mention he would screw with me and set it to 22lbs. boost before the test lol.

So like I said, any tips, suggestions? And have you ever failed and why?

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
do the speedlimit, hands 10 and 2 on the wheel. Count to 5 in your head at stop signs. use your mirror's when you parallel park. Dont stress over it, it's easy. When my sister took it, the guy told her to take a left, she was so nervous she went right and still passed.

Make sure you pass so you can come to the ATL meet :woot:

·
Registered
858 Posts
take it in an automatic if u are unsure
:yeahthat: if your not good @ stick shift definately bring a auto. check all your mirrors when u get in the car and dont 4get your seatbelt dont be nervous and go the speed limit no 5mph over with instructor in the car and keep both hands on steering the wheel..........thats it after u get your license 4get all of the above!!:dance:

·
Registered
261 Posts
do the speedlimit, hands 10 and 2 on the wheel. Count to 5 in your head at stop signs. use your mirror's when you parallel park. Dont stress over it, it's easy. When my sister took it, the guy told her to take a left, she was so nervous she went right and still passed.

Make sure you pass so you can come to the ATL meet :woot:
you are out of date on the hand positions.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
BTW, the r18 has more low-end torque than the si (peak torque 4000 rpms vs 6000 rpms)

Don't worry about it, you'll do fine.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Make sure to over exaggerate all of your movements. Do the usual "traffic check," but make sure to move your head in broad motions so the instructor can see it.

Good luck! You'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I got offered a stick of gum by the tester while driving.

And thanks to that I failed by removing a hand and taking my eyes off the road.

I doubt you'll get an as*hole in the car with you but don't blindly follow every direction given.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My only negative point when I took it was putting one of my hands under the steering wheel when i started turning. I thought it was stupid but it's easy to pass. As long as you know the rules and don't start speeding or doing something stupid you'll be fine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Before I took my test my teacher suggested that we write "L" and "R" on the back of our hands. I thought how stupid could you be to screw up your left and your right. Sure enough I was so nervous during my test that when the tester told me to take a left, I moved into the right hand lane. They didn't take any points off though because I moved back over. Felt like an idiot though.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I got offered a stick of gum by the tester while driving.

And thanks to that I failed by removing a hand and taking my eyes off the road.

I doubt you'll get an as*hole in the car with you but don't blindly follow every direction given.
LOL what an *******! I didn't actually think they pulled stuff like that during tests

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I pop in a classical piano CD when I took my driver's test. Gave me big +++ points with my tester (a very old man).

Just drive normally OP. If you believe your ready for your license than you'll get it. If you fail then that means you didn't practice enough. I would have failed because my parents absolutely would never let me practice. The week before my license they finally let me practice by forcing me to drive 24/7 to every little place. I literally drove over 6k that one week.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts