8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems a little hard... i mean are you supposed to have to make a brief stop in neutral and move it to the right to get into it? or should you be able to go diagnal up to it right from 4th? i was practicing moving the shifter through the gates with the car off and it seemed tricky to get it in there. like if you moved it all the way to the right it wouldn't go up into 5th

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
welcome to the 5th gear notchy....

my 6th is notchy... and sumtimes 5th 2nd and 1st

3rd is the king.....

one thing though... it may just be my car... but shell gas... and filling it up more than half tank almost completely fixes the notchy gear box... try it in urs...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
If you're stopped, you're probably getting hampered by the shift lever tapping into the reverse slot. What I do is put my palm facing forward at an angle to the right, like I'm pushing the shift knob with my palm. I simply push up, and it gets into fifth easily. I used to do what you desribed, having to put it up into center from 4th, then moving it to the right. I just push from my side forward and to the right, and it slips in....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i think it's different when you're driving, cause i did put it in fifth a couple times and i didn't miss.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The car has to be moving. Sometimes the dog teeth aren't aligned when the car is stop. While the car is moving, the syncronizers help the teeth align.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nayilsi said:

3rd is the king.....

one thing though... it may just be my car... but shell gas... and filling it up more than half tank almost completely fixes the notchy gear box... try it in urs...

i thought i was wierd cause everytime i fill up gas shifting seemed so much smoother and forgiving guess its not just me

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You should change your MTF if you haven't yet. It should help with the notchness. I say go with redline MTF or amsoil.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm having the same problem, and I thought it was just me lol. I'm fine with pretty much every gear accept getting into 5th. Once in a while it's like a smooth diagonal shift but other times it goes into 3rd and i have to put it down into neutral and then into 5th.

I remember hearing about 3rd gear issues but I haven't had any with mine so far and I've had it for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i'm learning on mine, and i had it out for like an hour and a half yesterday and later in the session i felt some notchyness going into 3rd, but not bad.

a little off topic, but is it damaging to kind of scrape the side of the gate moving into first and 2nd? like i think i pull it towards me too much

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
dnbsi said:
well i'm learning on mine, and i had it out for like an hour and a half yesterday and later in the session i felt some notchyness going into 3rd, but not bad.

a little off topic, but is it damaging to kind of scrape the side of the gate moving into first and 2nd? like i think i pull it towards me too much

You're supposed to use that side rail as a guide in order to get the transmission into those gears. You're doing just fine. The same should apply to fifth and sixth gear. Move the shifter all the way to the right until there is resistance, then slide up or down accordingly. You don't want to move it too hard and too far to the right or else you'll find yourself grinding the idler gear for reverse. You'll feel it when it stops. Have the car stopped and try putting it into reverse, do you feel a step after passing the fifth and sixth gear gates? If so, that's your call to stop.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
nayilsi said:

3rd is the king.....

Roflmao. Gas has absolutely nothing to do with your transmission bro. I think you're just imagining it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Nighthawk07 said:
Roflmao. Gas has absolutely nothing to do with your transmission bro. I think you're just imagining it.

I was laughing at the same thing, although I didn't think it was worth my time to type out a joke.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I personally don't really have a prob getting into 5th. i just kinda go diagonally up and it goes in no prob. when i was first driving the car, i would go from 4th to neutral push it to the right then go up, but i think once you feel where everything is... it just kinda goes together without even realizing it after driving the car everyday for a few months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts