8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to make a spare key to put in my bicycle bag if i ever loose a key i can still get in my car ?

Or is it useless because the spare key wont let you start the car.

Noob here

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
you can, its rather expensive to cut and program the key, unless you have a friend at the dealer who cuts you a break. They like to charge an hour of labor since it requires a technician with a HDS tablet to program the key.

If i remember correctly you can have up to 3 master keys (the ones with the remote built in) and only one valet key (the grey one) programed for your car at any time

·
Registered
90 Posts
How can you "program" a valet key?

When I bought my car, they gave me the tiny card with the bar code, they said this made it a lot cheaper if I ever needed to make a spare. I didn't ask how much though.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
peter_x said:
How can you "program" a valet key?

When I bought my car, they gave me the tiny card with the bar code, they said this made it a lot cheaper if I ever needed to make a spare. I didn't ask how much though.

To program the key they need to cut it to your ignition, turn on the car to Accessory, connect the HDS and use the cars electrical system to program the transponder

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Ohh this thread reminds me i lost my car master key at work i went to the dealership cost 50 bucks to master a duplicate and i asked them to program all three keys to the ecu and it works now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah, I didn't realise that there is a transponder in the key for ignition... I thought there was just the electronics for unlocking the doors

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
peter_x said:
Ah, I didn't realise that there is a transponder in the key for ignition... I thought there was just the electronics for unlocking the doors

its a rfid transponder, so if your battery dies it still works, but if you open your key and take out the remote electronics the car wont start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts