8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

General Tire Altimax HP

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ray 
#1 · (Edited)
These tires are sweet. I put em on my 03 Accord. v rated. they were a bit pricey but the reviews are excellent for this grand touring all season and the tread pattern is nice too. i've tried pushing them to the limit and they really grip extremely well.

General Altimax HP

#3 ·
Glad you've had success with the new (General Altimax HP Grand Touring All-season) tires. But, in the category of all-season passenger tires, they are ranked:

Ultra High Performance All-Season
High Performance All-Season
Performance All-Season
Grand Touring All-Season
Standard Touring All-Season
Passenger All-Season

Does that mean your success with the "relatively" low-rated tires can be amplified if I buy some tires that are higher on the scale, like Ultra High Performance All-seasons? Because there seem to be a good amount of UHP and HP tires available, for less money than the GrandTouring tires, which priced $85 for the 16''.

Thoughts? Or is my understanding of tire rating wrong?

#4 ·
as far as the price goes... ETD in NJ they were 101 each... but after adding the warranty, tire disposal fee, NJ tire tax, installation(mounting and balancing), and taxes... i payed $560. I kinda felt ripped off.

As far its rating... i wouldn't call it "relatively low" it may be a lower category when compared to ultra high performance tires. but they are on an accord and im not racing on a track. it averages an 8.6 out of 10. i dont know about you but 8.6 out of 10 is not low nomatter what kind of math you are using...

just giving my $0.02 and own opinion that these are good tires that ive never heard anybody talk about. all i here about are paradas, ecstas, falkens, nitto, etc.

basicly im just putting out there that there are other tires to choose from.

#7 ·
i payed $560. I kinda felt ripped off.
That's what pricing looks like when you don't look. They are $393 shipped from Tire Rack, and I pay 8-15 dollars apiece for mounting and balancing, depending on how far I feel like driving. So the job can be done for at least $100 less. They aren't expensive tires--and that's why local shops love to sell them. Often local shops buy from Tire Rack, and are happy to make over $100 on the transaction.

#5 ·
furthermore... just cuz a tire is in a different category(aka made for a different purpose) does not mean that it can or will perform better than a tire in another category.

an ultra high performance tire with a 4.5 rating in wet conditions isn't necessarily better than a grand touring tire with a 8.9 rating in wet conditions....

dont be fooled by the "code words" "ultra high performance"

basicly a crappy tire is a crappy tire nomatter what category its in.

#6 ·
Interesting...then those categories seem kind of stupid if one cannot adequately use them to make a decision on what tire to buy :eek:mg:...
Looks like I need to go through a few hundred tires on TireRack then and see which perform relatively well in many categories then, regardless if it's in the Ultra Hi Performance category or the Passenger **** category :laughing:

#8 · (Edited)
Interesting...then those categories seem kind of stupid if one cannot adequately use them to make a decision on what tire to buy :eek:mg:...
Well, in a way they are kind of stupid. There's no standard for classifying a tire as belonging to one catagory or the next, it's purely up to the manufacturer's choice. You should not use them as the basis for a purchasing decision. Sorry, but there's no adequate replacement for learning how good a particular tire is. Ratings, makers, prices are all just superficial factors that do not adequately describe the true value a product offers. In the end, what you don't bother to learn about the purchasing options you are considering will always cost you.

That being said, the Altimax HP is fairly accurately classified as a grand touring tire. It is an especially good one, offering a very quiet and smooth ride, and terrific foul-weather capability. It offers good dry grip, in the context of its very soft sidewall construction. But you must understand, all of that could be said of General's UHP summer tire, the Exclaim UHP. Well, all except the terrific foul-weather part. Both have very thin and very soft sidewalls, ride well, and grip well within the limits of their soft sidewalls even though one is classed a grand-touring tire and the other an 'ultra-high performance' summer tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.