8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this has been discussed before but i really couldn't find anything. I've really been looking into a good set of tires and there are just way too many choices. I was looking at General tires they don't seem to be well known I was wondering if anyone has tried them. I'm a tire noob. General Altimax HP

They got good ratings, but I'm not sure if these people put em to the right test. Should I be looking for a summer tire if I want really good grip? These stock michelins just have to go. Any suggestions for tires or places to shop for them online would be very useful. All I'm using right now is tirerack and discountire

These look good too Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I think...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
General has been around for ages, known for very average tires. But they have been bought out by Continental, also known for very average tires. Fortunately, the average tire is pretty darn good these days.

Both the Altimax HP and Exclaim UHP are good enough tires, but do have very thin sidewalls. This allows them to ride very well, but also compromises ultimate grip as sidewall stability is in short supply. If you don't notice how soft the sidewall is, you aren't setting the world afire, driving-wise.

I would think you get some snow in your parts, so a summer tire may not be the ticket. If you can transport by other means when its nasty or purchase dedicated winter tires, consider the Sumitomo HTR-ZIII. True bang for the buck.

If an all-season tire is more suitable for your climate, really good rubber comes more dearly. The Kuhmo AST is very affordable, but also useless in the snow. I'd be tempted to try the recent Dunlop SP Sport Signature. My all-season of preference is the Bridgestone RE960, but that's $150 a crack in 215/45/17. I carpool anyway, so I use the HTR-ZIIIs year-round and take my buddy's car on the few days a year I think twice about making our 70-mile commute on summer tires.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. I do get snow actually just a lot less then I used too. I guess snow is not really my concern because I try to stay in when it snows, but rain is. I don't drive like a maniac in the rain, but a good tire could save my life. Dry grip is my main concern. I like to take summer night drives in the backroads. What about the Nitto tire I found? Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Oh yeah and I guess I'm trying to stay 100 dollars or under per tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.