8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Im new to the manual transmission and I am still learning about shifting and getting more comfortable every day. Im not stalling as much as I did the first day, haha...

But question is, when Im driving and let off the gas the engine seems to brake, but its a jolt forward when it does. if Im going 50 or 20 or 10 mph, if I let of the gass completely it jolts me forward a little when its slowing down....

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
how high is your rpm gage when you're letting off the gas? If your RPMs are way up and you let off the gas - it'll be worse than say at 2000k rpms.

·
Registered
201 Posts
One thing I noticed on the drive by wire is the throttle or rpms seem to linger or hesistate. If you are waiting for the sound of the rpm's to fall before engaging the clucth you might experience the jerkiness. Also if you are hammmering the clutch quickly when going thru the gears you will get a jerk as well. In the lower gears the lsd helps you with that, but the clutch itself has a quick push. I love it, but I am also pushing it eveywhere I go! :driving:

·
Registered
117 Posts
It can be a form of compression braking...
Just letting the high rpms to slow you down.

First gear is the worst case scenario of this.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yea i noticed this too.
so its ok?
or if im at 4000k rpm, should i shift it to the next gear- then coast it for awhile then gas it more?

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I'm taking it you guys are talking about when your in traffic right? If so the jerking is normal if you don't know how to drive, you just have to learn how much gas to give the car to prevent this..my car will do the same thing, its just a matter of learning how to drive it..I sometimes take the car out of gear and coast in neutral or give it just the right amount of throttle, even 2nd gear helps when going 10mph. You'll get the hang of it, just takes awhile. :driving:

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah im new to the m/t also.. Im gettin way better but I still stall out sometimes my self.. and only when im startin off in 1st itgets all bouncey on me (but mostly when its cold).. and goin into 2nd it always push hard then its fine.. 3rd and up im good on (i always shift @ around 4k).
Im still nervous goin up a steep hill from stops with cars right on my ass.. my RPMs always go to 3-4k when i give it gas in 1st.. i just suck at the hill thing...

Shawn..

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Yeah it's really simple, but it does take awhile to get use to the new setup I think it's the DBW that makes it difficult to get use to.
I have found that 1-2k rpms will get you rolling out of first without stalling out anymore than that its jerky, don't be afraid to use the clutch and let it out slowly and easy and it won't be jerky or stall out.
This car is by far the best precise manual tranny car that I have ever driven..just takes a lot of getting use too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
you guys are great... :) when you let off the gas on a m/t the car is naturally going to jump a littlel bit when you are 2000+, that is just the way it works. As far as starting off on a hill, when i first started driving m/t that was hard for me as well, you just have to get used to your tranny and clutch. Just practice finding the point by "feathering" your clutch in conjunction with getting good at controlling your RPM's to keep the car still, then you will know that point and starting won't be a prob... you'll get it! :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When i was learning to drive my dad would make me stop and then go on this grade we called 'snake hill'. he taught me a trick ... use the hand brake and release it while letting out the clutch. This stops you from rolling backwards (handy in traffic) when you release the brake with your left foot. Gives you more time and helps avoid stalls. Use this technique till you get a feel for the clutch and comfortable on your own. :)

Also ... always have the clutch fully out before you enter a turn especially in the snow.

happy shifting

·
Registered
215 Posts
Using the hand brake is a bad idea. It forces you to rush to get the car moving again, or else you're going to wear on your brakes much more than usual. This is the same as trying to break when giving the car gas.

The best thing to do is just get used to the balance point of your clutch and gas. The perfect balance point is where your rpm's are only a little bit above your idle point and the car isn't moving. I've been driving m/t full time for a long time and find this easy to do now. Of course when I first started to learn it took a while to master. Like everything else in an m/t, it takes practice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ya, i kind of agree with Scorched. i remember when my dad was teaching me like 10 months ago. i drove up to this pretty steap hill, and he made me stop on the hill and get going again. i would roll back like crazy and stall. but now, i can start off on the steapest hill and not roll back at all. as soon as u learn where the friction point is (point where the tranny and w/e else engages), then it will become natural to know how much gas to give and how slow or fast to let out the clutch. oh, and about the jerkiness, when i drive my old ass accord in the morning, it does that, but later on in the day, even in first gear, it doesnt do it so much. so im gonna say its pretty normal, the engine is cold and what have you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah..im better now with the uphill drivin..

such a pain though.. How do you know if the e-brake is gettin bad/weak ive driven off a fewtimes no more then 5 feet though with it up.. should i have this looked into? when im on a steap driveway i have to put it in 1st just for the car to stay. it rolled back once.. could it be the cold also?

Shawn.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its funny, if I drive with my ebrake on I stall. LOL. I've done it a few times not thinking about it when I was rushing to get into traffic and not be too late for work

·
Registered
881 Posts
ALWAYS PUT YOUR CAR INTO GEAR WHEN YOU PARK!!!! When i was 17, i had a 97 eclipse gst. One day i was going back to my house to pick up my friend who was waiting for me there, i parked, put on the e brake and went into the house to get my buddy. I came out about 7 minutes later to find my car embedded in to the living room of my neighbors across the street...Lets just say that i learned my lesson the hard way. My e brake had failed and i was SOL :banghead:

·
Registered
67 Posts
happened to me when i was first learning. i had a mental checklist, (seat best, clutch in, start car, ebrake down, put into gear, go), but one time i was in my garage, and when i tried to get going, i stalled. did it two times in a row before i figured out what it was. my dad was standing behind me on the driveway and he knew what i was doing wrong, but he wanted me to figure it out. i havent forgotten it since. also, i always put the car into first and use the ebrake when i park. i used to just use the ebrake and leave it in neutral, but better safe than sorry. also, my dad said that the higher the gear u leave it, the harder it is for the car to roll. so for example, if u have it in first with no ebrake, one person could prolly push it slightly, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc and its freaking impossible to push. well, maybe 2nd isnt. but anyways, u could put it into a higher gear and use the ebrake when ur on a hill to be safe if u want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts