8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe it can be that i havent changed the tranny oil in a bit... but i noticed that whwnever i tr and go into third gear i feel like i have to push it a little furhter and it has to kinda click or feels like it, otherwise it grindss,
all my gears feel very stiff going in and out and im debating whether its the tranny oil or what, just need some feedback thanks

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Take it to the Honda dealer and pray that they'll fix it. The other option would be to change out the MTF to something like GM Synchromesh. It won't fix the issue, but it will make it a bit easier.

This is an issue with the K20 6 m/t that's almost a decade old and Honda hasn't really made any effort to fix it outside of a TSB for a certain vin range.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah search that problem here and you'll find 100,000 threads on it.

I personally havent had the problem like the rest, occasionally it happened. I just changed the fluid and put in metal bushings and I haven't had a problem since. Just dont go smashing gears when the car is cold either.

I hear that the factories just overfilled the tranny fluid. When I opened mine from the top to vent, fluid immedialtely stated to come out so i can see where this is comming from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh, yes. I experienced every symptom you've described so far: 3rd gear sometimes "catches" when trying to move shifter up into 3rd, like there's some obstruction in the way; sometimes it will slide in, but then pop back out when releasing the clutch. The symptoms were more predictable when the transmission was cold (cold starts or especially on cold days when the transmission was really cold before warming up).

I doubt the short shifter and cable bushings make any difference; the problem is related to a component actually in the transmission and within the 3rd gear assembly (some collar is a bit bigger than it should be...). Your shifter and bushings should not matter for the repair, either (the repair does not involve messing with the shifter), but it would probably be good to mention it to the dealer/mechanic when you bring it in (and I highly recommend getting the TSB repair done!).

In the meantime, you may want to try consciously depressing the clutch all the way to the floor before moving the shifter out of second and into third gear; for me, this seemed to just about prevent the problem from occurring, and besides, it doesn't cost anything! Good luck!

BTW, how do you like your short shifter setup? I've got the JDM "Titanium" round shifter / collar (not sure if it's real titanium, but what the hey) - the OEM shifter kept getting lost in my big paw. Oh, also have a shift boot that matches the seat fabric (alcantara cloth?) - very nice combo, IMHO. The OEM aluminum shifter and faux leather boot were a bit chewed up when I purchased the car (car had ~57k bout a year ago).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda has now solved the problem, and their newer transmissions are made with the correctly spec'd component installed. The reason they're not notifying all the owners to bring their cars in, is that the problem is not a big safety-related issue, so no recall. I would guess that they are interested in minimizing the cost to repair these transmissions, hence the TSB that is available, but is not highly advertised. So they acknowledge that it is a design problem and they will fix it, but since it won't lead to a crash, they'll let us complain about it first so they can maybe avoid repairing some of the cars out there and save a few bucks.

Personally, I really enjoy ripping it right through the gears in i-VTEC nirvana, without having to worry about 3rd gear slowing me down YEEHAWWW!

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah my 07's getting harder and harder to engage 3rd...

i'm holding off till after 8thcivicfest...

pray for me guys that my stealer can "dupe it"...

really spoils my love affair...
OH, you've GOT TO GET IT DONE before the fest. :pat: My repair took about a week because the dealer had to order / wait for parts, but if you let them get all the parts in before you drop the car off, they should have it done in a day or two. Good luck!

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Honda has now solved the problem, and their newer transmissions are made with the correctly spec'd component installed.
This is not true. There have already been quite a few people on this forum complaining about the transmission in their 09 Si, and every single one reports the same issues.

To the best of my knowledge there has been no change in the transmissions from 06 all the way up. There have been rumors beforehand, but all went by the wayside once the next year model was released and the issue was still there.

Like I said before, this issue is coming up on a decade long and it doesn't appear to be anything important enough for Honda to fix from the factory. What they fail to realize is that there are people doing their research out there and aren't buying the Si specifically because of its famous transmission issues. I can honestly say that if I were to buy a new civic tomorrow I would be looking at R18's and only R18's. More than likely I'd go after a DX just because it's the cheapest model and is every bit as reliable as an optioned out EX (none of that change in heads like the 7th gen had). I wouldn't consider an Si just because of the transmission issues. If I were to buy a performance-oriented FWD car tomorrow it wouldn't even be a Honda, truth be told. What's the point when it's like gambling to see if you get quality or crap?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have been reading these 3rd gear posts for quite some time now. I have an 07 Si Sedan with 35,600mi, and can't say that I have ever "popped out" of 3rd gear. However, I have always thought that the 3rd gear "gating" seemed unusual. I have ground third a hand full of times and had thought to myself, "REALLY!?!? I have been driving a MT for the better part of 10 years now! I can't believe I'm doing this!" I brushed it off as operator error. I received a postcard about a recalled rear ABS sensor or whatnot and called the dealership yesterday to inquire. Set up an appt and mentioned the 08-020 TSB and if they would look into it since the TSB states all 07 Civics are affected. When I dropped the car off at 8 am, the service tech confirmed the recall repair and brought the TSB to my attention. After my little story and feelings about the bastardized 3rd gear "gating", the tech says..... Wait for it...... "Well, if you can leave the car here for the day, my plan is to pull the tranny and have the 3rd gear set replaced. I have a guy here thats really good with them, and I have all of the parts in stock, so lets just get it done." Needless to say, after all of the horror stories I have read on here with the multiple trips to the "stealership" I was floored! I was almost speechless as I loaded up into the free shuttle and was dropped off at my front door. I am VERY impressed with Tom Kadlec Honda in Rochester, MN (Service Department) and I'm curious to see how this pans out...

Picked up the car at about 5:30 that evening and 3rd gear is like a hot knife thru butter. It's like night and day...:cheerleader: <cheerleader is a little strange i might add...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been reading these 3rd gear posts for quite some time now. I have an 07 Si Sedan with 35,600mi, and can't say that I have ever "popped out" of 3rd gear. However, I have always thought that the 3rd gear "gating" seemed unusual. I have ground third a hand full of times and had thought to myself, "REALLY!?!? I have been driving a MT for the better part of 10 years now! I can't believe I'm doing this!" I brushed it off as operator error. I received a postcard about a recalled rear ABS sensor or whatnot and called the dealership yesterday to inquire. Set up an appt and mentioned the 08-020 TSB and if they would look into it since the TSB states all 07 Civics are affected. When I dropped the car off at 8 am, the service tech confirmed the recall repair and brought the TSB to my attention. After my little story and feelings about the bastardized 3rd gear "gating", the tech says..... Wait for it...... "Well, if you can leave the car here for the day, my plan is to pull the tranny and have the 3rd gear set replaced. I have a guy here thats really good with them, and I have all of the parts in stock, so lets just get it done." Needless to say, after all of the horror stories I have read on here with the multiple trips to the "stealership" I was floored! I was almost speechless as I loaded up into the free shuttle and was dropped off at my front door. I am VERY impressed with Tom Kadlec Honda in Rochester, MN (Service Department) and I'm curious to see how this pans out...

Picked up the car at about 5:30 that evening and 3rd gear is like a hot knife thru butter. It's like night and day...:cheerleader: <cheerleader is a little strange i might add...

how much did it cost you? or was it a total recall for the part?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Didn't cost me a dime. Where the prices would be on the invoice it says "WARRANTY" for all of them. Just half a day without wheels. Had to drive the lady's Liberty.
On the invoice it states that the ABS wheel sensors were installed wrong at the factory so they pulled them out, checked em, replaced an O ring and re installed the sensors with "Honda's special tool". I wonder what that looks like??:laughing:

·
Registered
187 Posts
hey guys.. I just got a 06 si.. i'm not having a 3rd gear problem at all.. so far (knock on wood) but when I give it hell in first and shift quickly into second.. it wants to lock me in nuetral so there for I miss second.. but if I slow down my shift to where its alittle slower then it will go in fine but no chirping second and good pull into second.. could it be I'm just not use to the clutch yet? or could the second gear be messed up?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So when i roll up to honda am i just supposed to be like yea i got that third gear problem, i only worrieda bout replicating it because yes it does it everyday but i never know when and theyve already given me a brand new tranny for the second gear at 15k

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Basically you'll just have to tell them that you're having an issue with your third gear and explain it to them. The only thing you can do from there is hope that they fix it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.