8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Where do you even get 81 octane?

You may be causing detonation by running 81. But going to 91 and then back to 81 shouldn't hurt anything beyond just always running 81.

·
Banned
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switching to 91 and then back to 87 won't cause any problems at all. You probably won't even notice a difference.
one of my buddy's told me that if i mix Lucas Fuel treatment with octane 91, i will get a "little boost", or experience faster acceleration. i have also heard it does work.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
one of my buddy's told me that if i mix Lucas Fuel treatment with octane 91, i will get a "little boost", or experience faster acceleration. i have also heard it does work.
No it won't...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been using Lucas UCL along with Shell V-Power 93 octane for several months now. This is in an 07 LX. The engine idles smoother and reaches speed with less effort when I use the Lucas UCL. Other than that, there is no increase in mpg or horsepower as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
honda does not reccomend additives added to gasoline or engine oil lol even though we put in additives when we do services on cars at honda

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Unlikely in my opinion. But the only way to find out is to try it. You won't hurt anything.
Just be sure to check the label of the fuel additives. Some of them are "off road use only" and will foul up the 02 sensors. Many of them are large enough to cover a 20 gallon SUV tank, so you might only need 1/2 bottle.

My dad had the same thought about "won't hurt anything" so he was adding gas treatment to his Harley way to often. Fouled out his spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Just be sure to check the label of the fuel additives. Some of them are "off road use only" and will foul up the 02 sensors. Many of them are large enough to cover a 20 gallon SUV tank, so you might only need 1/2 bottle.

My dad had the same thought about "won't hurt anything" so he was adding gas treatment to his Harley way to often. Fouled out his spark plugs.
I was refering to using 91 octane fuel temporarily.

I don't think there would be any problem with lucas fuel treatment (i.e. upper cylinder lubricant) either, but yes definitely follow the directions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here is a reply to an email that I sent to Lucas a few weeks ago:

Thanks for looking to Lucas for your lubrication solutions. The best
program for your vehicle is to add about 3oz of Upper Cylinder Lubricant to
your tank for every 10 to 15gal fuel fill. If you've been doing this for a
few months your upper cylinder is carbon and varnish free. If you want to
do a quick check just pull one or two of your spark plugs and check for
carbon. All the rest of the fuel treatment products contain petroleum
distillates; solvents. Solvent will take a little life out of seals and
o-rings with ever application. Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant keeps the
whole system clean and lubricated every mile you drive and it doesn't need
help from solvent based products. You'll never have to pay for a shop
injector cleaning and your injectors may last for the life of the vehicle.
Thanks again,
John Mingus

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.