8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Civic LX recently got totaled :-( so I've upgraded to a shiny new (new to me) 2006 Civic LX. I've had it for about 2 months now, and I was just putting gas in. I remember that my 98 had a little metal flap over the fuel tank. It opened when I pushed the gas nozzle through it. Anyway, I just noticed that my new 06 doesn't have that. Did Honda stop putting these on? If so, why?

Or is it missing on the car? Could it have broken off? Would I need to have it replaced?

-Jamie

·
Registered
976 Posts
i'm so glad u asked, i realized that the other day when i was filling up, i started to wonder if i had somehow broken the flap since my old honda had it. phew!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, 07k. Also, thanks itrgtr, for letting me know that I'm not the only neurotic one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have that flap either but I know exactly what you're talking about. I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
(Resurrecting this thread after 3 years, sorry)

My 2006 Si definitely had this metal flap, until today. I got to work on an empty tank. Later in the day, as I was about to leave for home, the car died a few moments after I started it. I walked to the gas station a block away and bought a can of gas, poured it into my car, and when I pulled the plastic gas can nozzle out, the metal flap was gone. Must've broken it off and pushed it into the gas tank when I inserted the neck of the gas can.

Does anyone know how to replace it?

EDIT: I see that there are a few other threads about this, but no one seems to mention a part number :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2011 doesn't have it either. I'm pretty sure those were to help prevent people from syphoning gas. Since our fuel doors can only be opened from the inside of the car, Honda didn't think they were necessary.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've never paid attention if i have one in my '09 but i'll have to remember to pay attention next time i fill up; that'll probably be like 3 weeks since i don't go anywhere hardly anymore.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2011 doesn't have it either. I'm pretty sure those were to help prevent people from syphoning gas. Since our fuel doors can only be opened from the inside of the car, Honda didn't think they were necessary.
It is good to have a gas flap, just in case someone fills up the gas but forgets
to close the gas cap and gas door, so the gas does not vapor nor foreign objects can't enter into the gas tank. It is a good safety meassure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts