8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just wondering how much the gas tank capicity is from full (all Bars) to empty (no bars). About 12 gallons? Can anyone give me an exact number?:wavey:

I hope this hasnt been answered before :iough:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
this one is easy. it varies from car to car.. ive had three 8th gens now and each one was different.. currently in my 07 sedan auto full to empty is about 11.4 gallons. the first bar dissapears at 18 miles ever time.. with my 06 lx standard that puppy would hold all bars until about 40+ miles anyway:box:

ona side note.

06 dx standard coupe got 33mpg
07 lx standard coupe 32 mpg
07 lx sedan auto 30 mpg
all city driving maybe about 15% highway.

and trust me it beats the hell out of my sti 15-18 mpg when im on it!!

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
13.2 U.S. gallons in the 2007 Civic Si sedan.
useless trivia, but ALSO 13.2 U.S. gallons in my old 2001 Civic EX coupe (5-speed)

small world. hahah who woulda thunk it??! :thumb:

p.s.- upon re-reading the first post, i think you mean the gas tank not including the reserve... the answer to THAT question would be 1.9 U.S. gallons in the reserve (i.e.- when your gas light illuminates)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
SOLO8thGenSi said:
13.2 U.S. gallons in the 2007 Civic Si sedan.
useless trivia, but ALSO 13.2 U.S. gallons in my old 2001 Civic EX coupe (5-speed)

small world. hahah who woulda thunk it??! :thumb:

p.s.- upon re-reading the first post, i think you mean the gas tank not including the reserve... the answer to THAT question would be 1.9 U.S. gallons in the reserve (i.e.- when your gas light illuminates)

ok think about this 2 of my 8th gens would light up as soon as i hit 2 bars, now with my 07 lx auto sedan when it hits two bars left it takes about 15 miles before the light comes on sometimes more.. answer that one.. good luck

·
Banned
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the capacity of the hole thing is 13.2 gallons including the 1.9 gallon reserve? so it will be 11.3 gallons more or less? Am I right o_O?

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
07LX said:
I have put 13.5 gallons in my 07 LX sedan standard, and that point I could tell she was running out.
lol did you clean up the .2 gallons you dumped on the floor. ;) heh, j/k... thats weird but ive heard it before. its called filling up the filler-neck & not JUST the gas tank itself. happens...

·
Banned
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I'm still a bit confused. I just wanted to know the capacity so I could figure out my mileage. So i got 311 miles from my last fill up. (all bars full to no bars) Can someone give me a number o_O

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
csalcido said:
the 1.9 gallon reserve?

now im confused. does the reserve kick in when your light comes on or when you dont have any bars left? i was with everyone until this post.:sadwavy:

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
csalcido said:
dammit, now im more confused. Never thought of that, just figured it was when no bars were left:eek:hnoes:

sry i over analyze things to much and just get mixed up

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
csalcido said:
ok, I'm still a bit confused. I just wanted to know the capacity so I could figure out my mileage. So i got 311 miles from my last fill up. (all bars full to no bars) Can someone give me a number o_O
Easiest way to figure you gas mileage, as I do it every time, is fill up your tank and reset your odometer, then the next time you fill up you divide the number of miles that you went by the gallons you filled up with. It's never exactly right as you can top one tank off a little more than the next, but it's probably within 0.5MPG right.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
now im confused. does the reserve kick in when your light comes on or when you dont have any bars left? i was with everyone until this post.:sadwavy:
The "reserve" is just approximately how much gas you have left after the fuel light comes on.

As for getting more than 13.2 gallons in, fuel expands slightly as it heats up and gas tanks allow some space for this so your tank doesn't overflow after you fill it up. The fuel tanks rated capacity leaves some space at the top for expansion. The tank is shaped to create a small air pocket as you fill up. If the pump is filling particularly quickly, you are parked on a slight slope, or if you top it off it is possible to get more than the rated capacity in the tank.

As a side note, this is why it is not good to top your tank off too much. It is possible to overfill the tank to the point that a small amount of gas will leak out as it expands. This is particularly true in the summer. Gas comes out of underground tanks fairly cool. Then you start driving and heat off the road, exhaust, etc. causes the temperature of the fuel to rise substantially and it expands.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
BigT said:
The "reserve" is just approximately how much gas you have left after the fuel light comes on.

As for getting more than 13.2 gallons in, fuel expands slightly as it heats up and gas tanks allow some space for this so your tank doesn't overflow after you fill it up. The fuel tanks rated capacity leaves some space at the top for expansion. The tank is shaped to create a small air pocket as you fill up. If the pump is filling particularly quickly, you are parked on a slight slope, or if you top it off it is possible to get more than the rated capacity in the tank.

As a side note, this is why it is not good to top your tank off too much. It is possible to overfill the tank to the point that a small amount of gas will leak out as it expands. This is particularly true in the summer. Gas comes out of underground tanks fairly cool. Then you start driving and heat off the road, exhaust, etc. causes the temperature of the fuel to rise substantially and it expands.

well i have gotten 15 gallons in the car before. i kept shaking the car and getting all the airbubbles out and filled it up until it puddles at the gas hole on the side. haha. i have only done that a few times. if you want when the gas pump kicks off to let you know its full rock you car back and forth and let it go until it clicks again. you would be amazed at how much air is in the tank. dont do it to much tho cuz its prolly not that good for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.