8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

401 - 404 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Its kinda an oxymoron because if you drive in high enough RPM to engine brake your driving at too high of RPMs to get good normal mileage.
Umm, no. You can technically engage engine braking at almost any speed down to 10-20mph.

Fuel economy is best if you keep speed pretty much consistent... say cruising 50-60mph is the typical sweet spot for most.. not too slow that you can't shift to the highest gear and not too fast that wind resistance starts to become a drag (no pun intended).

You can engage the engine brake technically by just removing your foot from the gas pedal and coast the rest of the way, like when approaching slow moving traffic or a stop. Coasting in gear does not use any gas at all (if the engine RPM remains above 1k) as the car's momentum is keeping the engine from stalling. Also particularly useful on long down-hill runs. Just be careful you're in the right gear for the right speed (M/T) so you don't over-rev the engine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tires matter a lot if you're cruising a lot of highway. I was getting up to 5 mpg more on my slick almost bald tires. However, due to rain, I had to change them out. If you do a lot of highway and live somewhere that doesn't get much rain and feel confident on nearly bald tires you can get much better mpg. I ran them for as long as I felt safe and before they were replaced I was getting 41, 42, as much as 43 the final weeks they were on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes bald tires would be better for MPG. you can even feel the difference on a mtn bike vs road bike tires.

also try to stay in gear and coast to a red instead of waiting until gettign to the light to let go of the gas. this way i can coast to a red and continue driving when it turns green withot touching brakes. some people in a rush may honk though but who cares they will go around you and end up stopped beside you when you reach the light and they will look stupid

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently gotten a job that requires a lot of commuting, and I would love to hear tips about how you all save money on gas. Most of my travel is on highways, but I do often run into stop and go traffic. How can I drive to use less gasoline? Does AC make that much of a difference? Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

401 - 404 of 404 Posts