8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else' Si do this? Everytime I fill the car up, I let it go & it clicks off...I then keep pumping & the gas keeps going in for a while. It's like I can never get a completely full tank or I have to guess when it's full.

·
Registered
617 Posts
uhhh...i think thats an indicator for the tank being almost filled to the top. I do a few more clicks to even out a dollar, never do it too much. Might flow out

·
Registered
970 Posts
Bottom line - don't do that. If you are at zero bars and it's clicking at 8 gallons, try another fuel station or pump. If it still does that, bring it in for service. Otherwise, don't do that. YOU DON'T WANT TO FILL "to the brim!"

Stop filling the tank after the fuel nozzle automatically clicks off. Do not try to ‘‘top off’’ the tank. Leave some room for the fuel to expand with temperature changes.

If the fuel nozzle keeps clicking off even though the tank is not full, there may be a problem with your vehicle’s fuel vapor recovery system. The system helps keep fuel vapors from going into the atmosphere. Try filling at another pump. If this does not fix the problem, consult your dealer.
-mr. bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Every car I have ever owned did this. Minus those built in the 60s and 70s.

No offense, but I get the impression that there are a lot of 1st time car owners here.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had a "debate" on another site about this.

You risk dumping fuel into your EVAP canister and saturating the charcoal filter.
You risk dumping fuel on the side of your car.
You risk dumping fuel on the *next* side of the *next* car.

I can't believe the number of people turning their SULEV or PZEV vehicles into a dirty vapor spewing POS just to squeeze a gallon (or TWO) over the rated capacity of their tank.

Filling to the brim doesn't give you a more accurate reading. Don't do it.

Fill up - one click - done. You want more repeatability? Fill up at the same pump, at the same time of day - one click - done. The slight stochastic noise introduced tank to tank by such a method is a small penalty to pay for SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED AIR QUALITY.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Try not putting the gas nozzle so far into your tank? My old car, for some reason, would cause the pump to shut off when it was around a half a tank, so I had to have the nozzle only about half way in before I could fill it up the entire way. Probably due to vapors making the nozzle think the gas tank is full.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't know what your old car was, but nobody with an 8th gen civic should be having trouble with premature shut off.

If you have trouble with premature shut off:
Try another pump.
If that doesn't work, take it in for service, you've got a problem with your EVAP system.

Working around the problem by pulling the nozzle out half way just dumps a lot of fuel vapor into the air.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah, my old car was a '91 Saab 900...I know for a fact that lots of things didn't work the way they were supposed to.

Regarding the 8th gens...you're right, no one really should be experiencing this with a brand new car, but I don't think having the nozzle part way out of a gas tank really causes much vapor to escape.

·
Registered
761 Posts
this happens on most ford. every ford i owned did this. i had turn the nozzle upside down then it would pump properly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a tip for those that don't know:

If you don't squeeze the handle all the way and let the gas in slowly you can fill your tank up more. The faster the gas goes the more pressure that is built up from the fumes and the quicker it will shut off.

So if you're not in a hurry, take your time filling her up.

·
Registered
661 Posts
This is a good reason why you should "1 click and done" instead of trying to top off your tank or click fill to the next dollar:

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank! | Mid-Atlantic Air Protection
"Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks."

It's very possible that you're paying to the next dollar for no more gas than you had in the tank when it clicked to begin with.

For the OP though:
If it's clicking off right away, then either there's something wrong with the sensor at the pump you're using or you're not positioning the nozzle corrrectly (sticking it in too far, or maybe not far enough).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
what would topping it off do ?
Cost you about $500 to replace your evaporative emissions system. I had a Maxima once that had to have its cannister and whatever else replaced for this kind of money. Seems that's a lot for a container of charcoal, but that was what the stealer wanted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts