8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to get power to a game system inside of the car. my friend told me to get a converter that plugs into the lighter socket. that's tacky as hell. i dont want any visible wires. does anyone know how to do it???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well most consumer electronics are meant to accept 120V AC current and then use an internal or external (power brick) to convert it to some specific DC voltage(s). So, your friend is correct, you'll need a converter, also called a power inverter that will take 12V DC in from the battery and convert it to 110-120V AC to use normal household electronics with. Thing is, you don't have to plug in into a cigarette lighter. You could easily mount it out of the way somewhere like under a seat and wire it directly up the battery. Then plug your game system into it and you're set.

Be careful tho. Many inverters have specific power limitations. So before you get one, you should find out exactly what the current draw is of whatever device you plan on plugging into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most game consoles use 100 watts or less. Most 150 watt or less power inverters plug into your 12v accessory outlet (cigarette lighter-style outlet).

I ran an inverter behind my dash for an xbox a few years ago, and I just used the wires running to the 12v outlet. I added an second outlet, behind the dash, by splicing into the existing wires. The inverter was powered, hidden, and best of all unmodified. (I have a 7th gen civic)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.