8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tint and cops story

So I'm coming home from Virginia Tech for thanksgiving break, and I'm i-66 doing 72 in a 65. We pass a cop and my friend points to it. It then turns on its lights and pulls me over. I thought I did nothing wrong since I was only going 7 over the speed limit. Stupid me, I asked if he pulled me over for speeding and he asked how fast i was going. I said 70 in a 65, and he just shrugged and waved that off. Then he asks me how dark are my windows. I said the person who did them said they were 35% in the front and 20% in the back. He pulls out a gadget to check it and turns out they are 27%. He then takes my license and registration, and goes back to his car. I thought I was going to get a ticket but turns out he gave me a warning.

Anyways, what do you guys suggest I do? haha, drive carefully and don't mind the windows? Or get the tint off?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
That depends. Do you want to keep getting pulled over?

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
well... I have 5% on all My windows... and 20% on the front windshield and I have never been stopped...

I think you honesty paid off in that scenario.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thats so lucky, I go to school in VA and got 20% all around but live in MD where 35% is legal and the one time i go home for the day I get pulled over and had to get my tint taken off so i could pass MD inspection...I'll probably go legal when i get it put back on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea how long this warning will be on my record? I'm so paranoid now, it was so random that I got pulled over for this when other people's tints were much darker than mine.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Any idea how long this warning will be on my record? I'm so paranoid now, it was so random that I got pulled over for this when other people's tints were much darker than mine.

i dont think a warning shows on your record

just remember the glass from factory is not clear , so to be legal you need to put on 40% so it meters out at 35%

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
well... I have 5% on all My windows... and 20% on the front windshield and I have never been stopped...

I think you honesty paid off in that scenario.
i wish i could get away with that tint.... i can't go more than 2 weeks w/o having a cop incounter

·
Registered
330 Posts
leave it on for now...the worst that can happen is you get pulled over again...maybe that will be another warning, maybe you will get a "fix-it" ticket, or maybe it will never happen.

As far as passing inspection, I live in PA so things might be different. A car can pass inspection with tint, but a cop can still pull you over. Don't get too drastic though...see what happens

·
Registered
781 Posts
Md is legal but in order to pass the inspection you'll have to go through several tests. So in the end you are better without it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts