8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update!! (8-24-07)

I took the locking ring off the rear perch before I handed it to the shop.

I went in Thursday morning and asked where they had installed the perch the first time they did it. The guy told me they put it on the bottom, below the spring (on top of the control arm). I told them, after some research, that the perch most likely goes above the spring. They had their doubts saying that perches should ALWAYS be installed below the spring, but what do you know... they call me back and tell me that they had installed the perch/spring in the rear upside down the first time and that it is correct for the perch to be placed on top of the spring.

So that's why it was so high off the ground in the first place.

They said that the perch might have a tendency to move around since it sits above, and I agree with that. I guess its just weird design.

Here's a few pics of how it is now. It's still not as low as I want it to be, but since I'm getting 18" wheels soon (prolly hfp), I won't have to worry about rubbing.

and here's a pic of the perch and everything else

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(8-22-07)

So after hearing some good things about the F2 Coilovers from a few members on 8th as well as some Honda guys, I bought a set for my EX. But oh, man, I am so confused.

So apparently, the F2 spring/shock for the rear suspension on the EX is in two parts, just like it how comes from factory. From all the pictures online, they looked like the whole spring/spring seat would fit over the shocks, but I guess thats only for the Si??????? My shocks do not look like the ones in the picture.

I got a call from the shop during the install telling me that, when they put the car back on the ground (previously on S-techs), it is now an inch or so HIGHER than it was before (basically back to OEM height). They call me back later and told me that they can remove the F2 spring seat and just place the spring in between the control arms; however, that would mean that the springs won't be held in place in by compression, but would just sit there because of the smaller height overall of the spring component(does that make sense?).

So I told them to leave the seat out and this is what it looks like...

I've place some more neg camber on the rear so they don't rub. I say it looks ******* awesome, but it's way to dropped, cuz i still keep rubbing over driveways and stuff. I'm bring it back to the shop to put the spring seat back on. This sucks...

Is it true that for the EX that the shock and the springs has to be installed separate? Before the install, I've try fitting the springs over the shock, but there's nothing on the shock to hold the spring in place... this really sucks.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
YOur running without a lower spring seat now? And the shop let you leave like that? :rotfl:

First I would suggest a new shop...Second just because the picture shows a coilover setup if your car doesn't have a coilover setup you can't make it. Our cars in the rear aren't coilover's so you use a seperate spring shock setup. The rear spring seat is the adjuster probably...It is probably a threaded collar that adjusts the height of the rear spring.

Good luck....

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
As you are aware, the spring and strut are separate on the rears. Typical PICs shown on the Internet do not show the parts for this type of configuration. In reference to your PIC:

The left two spring and strut assemblies are correct and are installed on the front (you should be able to figure out which one goes on each side). The third spring and strut assembly is not correct. It should not have been assembled that way. It should be disassembled so that it looks like the spring assembly to the right of it and the shock to the right of the spring.

For the rear, the spring seat and spring itself are to be installed in the location where the stock spring is located. The strut assembly is of course installed where the stock strut was located.

I am shocked that the shop that you brought the car to installed the springs without the spring seat. The way your setup is designed, the spring seat is used to adjust the ride height on the rear as well as the tension on the spring itself.

FWIW, I helped a guy last weekend install a set of Buddy Club Racing Spec Dampers on his 07 Si which have a similar configuration, but offer more adjustment points (i.e., height adjustable dampers (strut assemblies) and camber adjustability on the front upper pillow ball mounts).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, but with the spring seat on, even at the lowest ride height adjustable, the car ended up as high as it was stock. I dunno what's wrong. There are one gear that adjust height on the rear springs, and a gear that locks it. I can't get the locking gear loose. I'll update tmrw when i go back to the shop.

·
Registered
329 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
yeah, but with the spring seat on, even at the lowest ride height adjustable, the car ended up as high as it was stock. I dunno what's wrong. There are one gear that adjust height on the rear springs, and a gear that locks it. I can't get the locking gear loose. I'll update tmrw when i go back to the shop.
I feel you man since I have B&Gs and the adjusting seat keeps the rear pretty high. Although, my seats are still in and the rear is still settling down a little bit. I really don't see the rear being stable without them. Last thing I would want would be the springs chattering around. Maybe a custom collar that is shorter would do, but damn, just don't remove it.

Also, the rear is more susceptible to the spring settling since there is no load on them other than the weight of the car. So give the seat some time...

Anyone with Tein, B&G, BC, or any other Coils installed has some input on the adjusting seat?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'm going back first thing tomorrow to put the seats back in because it feels really ghetto driving without them... like I cut my springs or something, haha.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
wow i was going to order these in a matter of days too
I'm glad this came up.. hope it works out for you
although your car looks good like that haha

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hoanger said:
wow i was going to order these in a matter of days too
I'm glad this came up.. hope it works out for you
although your car looks good like that haha

haha, yeah, I'll keep this updated for people who might think about getting these. They ride well, and it's an obvious improvement from lowering springs. I haven't been able to toss the car around though for fear of the rear springs falling out, lol.

Yeah, lol, if it wasn't for the seats, I would keep it like this for a while, haha.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
That shop sucks. My girlfriend would have done a better job than that shop.

I have Teins and the collar for the springs in the rear is on top of the spring around the stock rubber cone bushing thing and the bottom just rest against the stock bottom bushing o ring thing. The closest i got to the highest hight on the rear spring was a 1/2 from the top of the collar. At this setting, the car was still lower than stock by a little over an inch.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sirbelch said:
That shop sucks. My girlfriend would have done a better job than that shop.

I have Teins and the collar for the springs in the rear is on top of the spring around the stock rubber cone bushing thing and the bottom just rest against the stock bottom bushing o ring thing. The closest i got to the highest hight on the rear spring was a 1/2 from the top of the collar. At this setting, the car was still lower than stock by a little over an inch.

Haha, gimme your gf's number, we have stuff to talk about.

I don't have Teins though. I know Teins have no problem slamming the car down, and after what I saw yesterday, I regret not getting them... but I gotta work with what I got... so thanks for the comment, even though it doesn't really apply.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
Haha, gimme your gf's number, we have stuff to talk about.

I don't have Teins though. I know Teins have no problem slamming the car down, and after what I saw yesterday, I regret not getting them... but I gotta work with what I got... so thanks for the comment, even though it doesn't really apply.

Why are you going to spend all that money just to over lower a car and have it handle worse than stock? You might think it handles better because of less body roll, but in reality it is handling worse due to the lack of suspension travel. Our cars do not handle well slammed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sirbelch said:
Why are you going to spend all that money just to over lower a car and have it handle worse than stock? You might think it handles better because of less body roll, but in reality it is handling worse due to the lack of suspension travel. Our cars do not handle well slammed.

Nope, I didn't think less body roll would be better, and yeah, i realize having my car dropped that low will result in less suspension travel... What you quoted was my reply to the guy about the Teins and how he's saying Teins can handle a lower drop.

I don't want my car to stay at the height as you see in the pictures. I think it looks awesome though, haha. I'm just complaining at the fact that the Function/Form set up didn't allow me to at least match the drop from the Tein S-tech.

I'm still trying to figure stuff out, and I'll post up the results tmrw after I put the seats back on. Thanks for everyone's input. =D

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
I think it looks awesome though, haha. I'm just complaining at the fact that the Function/Form set up didn't allow me to at least match the drop from the Tein S-tech.

Sounds to me that you want function to follow form with a comment like that.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
so I'm a bit confused, is it the shop that installed it wrong or is it really incorrect?

from blueroadsters explanation, it seems that the third setup in the pic is incorrect and the spring and strut should be disassembled.

Is the Si coupes and R18 coupes suspension not the same?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sirbelch said:
Sounds to me that you want function to follow form with a comment like that.
LOL. Yeah, I guess I want more form... I drive like a grandpa anyways.

hoanger said:
so I'm a bit confused, is it the shop that installed it wrong or is it really incorrect?

from blueroadsters explanation, it seems that the third setup in the pic is incorrect and the spring and strut should be disassembled.

Is the Si coupes and R18 coupes suspension not the same?
No, the strut/spring was installed separately like how it's designed to be installed, and the shop never "put it together" like the pictures show. The shop did everything right and the coilovers were installed perfectly. I was just wondering if the strut/spring SHOULD be put together.

Because of the spring seat, the ride height was brought back to stock, so they gave me a choice of leaving the spring seat off and to see what to do from there. When I got back to the shop, I test drove around, and it felt okay (except for rubbing). I told them there and then to put the seat back, but they were pretty booked that day, so I told them I'll come back Thursday morning.

From what I know... FG1 and FG2 suspension is exactly the same.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
No, the strut/spring was installed separately like how it's designed to be installed, and the shop never "put it together" like the pictures show. The shop did everything right and the coilovers were installed perfectly. I was just wondering if the strut/spring SHOULD be put together.

Because of the spring seat, the ride height was brought back to stock, so they gave me a choice of leaving the spring seat off and to see what to do from there. When I got back to the shop, I test drove around, and it felt okay (except for rubbing). I told them there and then to put the seat back, but they were pretty booked that day, so I told them I'll come back Thursday morning.

From what I know... FG1 and FG2 suspension is exactly the same.
I see... thats odd. I know that peenoy_si has the FF coilovers and there were no complaints from him. You should try talking to him to see what he did if you haven't already.

But whatever the reason, good luck. I'm looking forward to see what happens

1 - 20 of 42 Posts