8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i’m having trouble with my fuel system. car is a stock 08 si, i am not getting a ground to my fuel pump relay or my injectors. from what i have read (which is a **** load) the ecu controls the ground to both of these. the relay and injectors get a positive 12 volts while cranking. anything else you can think of besides a bad ecu would be greatly appreciated. the relay/fuses under the hood and under the dash are good. they receive the positive signal but no ground.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Civics have 3 major grounding wires under the hood. Locate those and see if they have corroded. Honda uses too small ground wires hence the lights dim occasionally. Some people do a Big 3 fix which is replacing those ground wires with thick bastards. It really helps.

So locate those 3 grounds and make sure they are not f'ed up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also...is the ECU throwing any codes? Go to Advance Auto or some such shite auto parts store and use their code reader if you dont know. If the problems in the ECU the reader will let you know.

Let me know what you find out...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i cleaned the ground from negative terminal to frame and from frame to trans and no luck. i borrowed a buddies scanner today and it will not connect. the scanner powers up and tries to connect but fails after about 15 seconds. makes me think the ecu might be fried, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
312 Posts
ECU for sure. Check out g7computers.com they fix and reprogram Honda ECUs. Web site has quotes and 1 day turn around. There are advantages to keeping the ECU that came with the car. I guess it comes down to price vrs hassle.

Good luck and keep me updated. I m interested to know the solution. Inquiring mind and all...

·
Registered
49 Posts
check your battery for reverse voltage and short, power to frame been seeing that a lot lately with newer batteries, if you don't have a good VOM meter you can do the same thing using a cheap test light judging how bright the bulb gets on the test light

·
Registered
201 Posts
There’s a ground for the injectors themselves. It’s on the intake manifold to the bottom right of the fuel rail. Check that.
I had a painted manifold and the paint was making bad connection for me, i was getting flickering dash and check fuel cap message at redline only.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a similar issue except mine turned out to be a bad ecu. There should be 3 grounds. One from battery to chassis, one from the transmission mount to the chassis and one from around the dogbone mount to the chassis. What we did was sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body to see if it would start which it tried for a second because all it would do was turn over but wouldn't start at all like it wasn't getting fuel. We then took some alligator clips and hooked the positive one up to a power source like the + term on the battery and the ground alligator clip to a ground and touched the fuel injectors prongs with it and since each injector turned on it meant my ecu was bad. Putting in a ecu is a bit** I mean installing the ecu is easy unless you have flashpro then you have to turn the car back to stock etc but having to get your immobilizer reprogrammed from honda sucks, plus if you have a 06 or 07 you will have to get the gauge control cluster replaced as well because honda can't reprogram it with 06 or early 07s. However you can get an ecu from the junk yard for like 80 bucks and a gauge control cluster for around 80 as well. The only other thing I can think of is following the - wiring from the injectors to the ecu and make sure the wire isn't cut in half or frayed or something. Hope this helps man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate the replies, i posted this in an 8th gen group on facebook with 40k members and got literally zero replies. I have sent my ecu to g7 computers to be tested/repaired to avoid the trouble of programming a different ecu. I hope they find something wrong with it because i need this car back on the road for fuel efficiency lol i will update this thread once i have an answer from them for future problems people might have.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i appreciate the replies, i posted this in an 8th gen group on facebook with 40k members and got literally zero replies. I have sent my ecu to g7 computers to be tested/repaired to avoid the trouble of programming a different ecu. I hope they find something wrong with it because i need this car back on the road for fuel efficiency lol i will update this thread once i have an answer from them for future problems people might have.
Hopefully they figure it out and it is your ecu so you can get it fixed. Reprogramming an ecu is a bit** I had to do it for mine and honda charges 100 to do it even though it only takes them 20 mins, plus like I said if you have a 06 or 06 you'd have to change the gauge control cluster too so getting the ecu fixed you have is a much better option. If I were you id also check the wiring harness and find out where the ground is supposed to be and make sure the wire didn't fall out or that the pin didn't fall out somehow. My issue was that I have a system and I had a capacitor and touched the negative and positive battery terminals together to do a ecu reset and it blew my ecu because I forgot the capacitor lol. It would crank but wasn't getting fuel. Hopefully you get it figured out man. Either the wiring harness somehow depined itself on the ground, there's a fray on the wire or the wire is cut or the ecu went out. Only things I can think of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
g7 computers sent me an update and im
not sure if it’s good news or not. we will see once i receive the ecu back…this was their response…The computer you sent here has been repaired. There was a software failure on the board, so the unit did not need to be opened because the hardware all tested OK. Usually when the computer fails, so does another part on the vehicle, and if all the damaged parts on the vehicle are not replaced at the same time, then the original problem may still exist, or even cause damage again to the computer and/ or vehicle. Anything electrically related to the symptoms with the vehicle should be checked. It could not be determined if the fault was a result of another problem with the vehicle or a manufacturer's defect because the vehicle was not here for inspection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds to me like it was your ecu as they said there was a software problem so maybe something was gltiching in the software causing the ecu not to have the power sent to your sensors, fuel injectors etc. I'd just plug it back in when you get it and it should start up. If not you may have some bad wires that are grounding out or frayed or something along those lines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just as i suspected, plugged ecu back in and the exact same symptoms still exist. they fixed nothing. I knew the software line was BS as soon as i read it because if the ecu checks out good then they do not charge anything. of course they are going to find something to “fix” so they get their money. an ecu would be shorted out internally, a bad solder joint, something physical. nothing was wrong with the “software” they just wanted their $225 dollars. I suppose i’ll tow this POS to honda dealer to be looked at as i am out of ideas.

·
Registered
312 Posts
just as i suspected, plugged ecu back in and the exact same symptoms still exist. they fixed nothing. I knew the software line was BS as soon as i read it because if the ecu checks out good then they do not charge anything. of course they are going to find something to “fix” so they get their money. an ecu would be shorted out internally, a bad solder joint, something physical. nothing was wrong with the “software” they just wanted their $225 dollars. I suppose i’ll tow this POS to honda dealer to be looked at as i am out of ideas.
I will call them and *****, so should you. Not good to mess with Forum people, get a bad name fast. They even advertise on our site. I'll call tomorrow and so should you. We'll get your money back. I'll call before noon eastern. My name is Mike Adams and I ll tell them I have recommended many people to them and they need to make this right. You call after noon and drop my name ask for your cash back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
would you trust any old mechanic shop to solve my issues or should i take it to the dealer? dealer wants $135 for diagnostics and i’m sure the repair its self won’t be cheap

·
Registered
312 Posts
would you trust any old mechanic shop to solve my issues or should i take it to the dealer? dealer wants $135 for diagnostics and i’m sure the repair its self won’t be cheap
If G7-maybe-we-will-fix-the 2nd-time-Computers cant get it fixed then for sure go to Honda. Once you have the diagnosis maybe you can fix it yourself.

I will let you know if they call me tomorrow. Please let me know what G7 does about their f'up. If they step-up then all's forgiven in biz and war. But if they dont....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts