8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a report from Japan's Best Car is to be believed, Toyota will delay the release of the FT-86 from 2011 to 2013.

The reasons behind the delay are varied, and include a different design direction, the economic slowdown and possibly a revised powertrain strategy that could include some kind of hybrid motivation.

As reported previously, the original FT-86 concept was just that – a design study – and Toyota is apparently second-guessing the styling of the coupe before it reaches production. Additionally, ToMoCo is reportedly gauging the success of the Honda CR-Z, which could influence the final drivetrain specs of the FT-86. If that means a hybrid powerplant is in the cards, we're not totally heartbroken, but if Toyota decides to remake the coupe as a front-driver, consider our dreams officially dashed. Regardless, the next iteration of the FT-86 is slated to debut at the Tokyo Motor Show at the end of 2011.
Report: Toyota FT-86 delayed until 2013, hybrid under consideration — Autoblog

:banghead:

I'm so pissed right now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
from an car enthusiast perspective, this blows!

especially since the initial speculations of such type of vehicle seemed iffy because the engineering behind these "sport hybrid" vehicles seems too be tooo big of a compromise between "green" and "sport".

but it makes sense if toyota were to take such an action after honda's cr-z would create a new vehicle market where.... so there can be a brighter side to this story in the aspect that maybe by toyota creating a competition with honda that this might lead to a better development of the "sport hybrid"

but once again, it sucks to see another potential enthusiast car not go into production...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
hahaha am I suprised. This is toyota we are talking about. I gotta admit I was pretty excited for this car. But as soon as they announced its being revised for fuel efficient I said f--- it they're going to ruin it. Sure enough they did.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It gives Hyundai more time to get another iteration of the Genesis Coupe out to face the competition from Toyota...assuming the FT86 is still in the same category in 2013.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Time to go USDM muscle guys. Toyota, Honda, and Acura can no longer design stylish cars anymore. Plus they are lacking behind the competition in horsepower. The 06-08 Civic Si was the last great stylish design from Honda. For Toyota, the Celica?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The FT86 is still just a concept car...I'm talking about a production car. The front end is pretty nice, but the rear kills the whole car design in the FT86.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well they have designed a stylish car, didn't say anything about it needing to be in production ;-)

For a car that is or has been available on the forecourt, sure that is definitely different!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I knew this car would become a myth, forget about the Subaru version :facepalm:.

As Mustangs & Camaros will continue to fly off dealer lots well into the foreseeable future :usa:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts