8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished up my DIY for installing new front speakers and tweeters. Before you head over, I want to point out a couple of things.

1. I only tell you how to get up to the point of adding the speakers. Since each speaker brand is different in how they are installed, and since most come with an install guide, I felt this was an adequate stopping point.

2. I don't give a detailed walkthough on how to re-assemble your car. Its like when you go visit a friend for the first time - they give you a map on how to get there but not a map out. The car reassembles exactly backwards to how it was put together. If there are enough questions about reassembly, I'll add it, but for now, I'm leaving it out.

3. This is a 1st edition. I plan on changing the layup quite a bit, but hopefully the text will remain static. The only changes I hope to make are those suggested by others or to fill holes that cause others questions.

On a final note, installing in below freezing weather is NOT cool! I like to have froze my buns off, quite literally!

Now, on to the show, er link:

Front Speaker/Tweeter Install Guide

·
Registered
445 Posts
Very descriptive. Not to technicial there are typos in step #2. Need to add door panel to wording. But it is informative and most will understand what you are trying to get accoss. Kudos to you for tearing into your new Civic. Hope you didn't break any tabs or clips, I know they can be a bi**h to get off at times. I use to install alarms, strereos, and other automotive electronic equipment. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acetech808 said:
Not to technicial there are typos in step #2.
Thanks. I actually found several when I started cleaning up the code. However, if anyone sees flaws, such as tpos or errors, please let me know because I would be glad to make the necessary changes.
acetech808 said:
Hope you didn't break any tabs or clips, I know they can be a bi**h to get off at times. I use to install alarms, strereos, and other automotive electronic equipment. Good luck.
As did I. However I did break one piece by stepping on it. My last piece to put back in no less. Fortunately, the crack was hidden under the seat when I installed it so I wasn't too worried about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm already on to version 2. The link is the same. I've mainly just changed the layout and fixed typos. Also, you will now see down arrows next to the main install heading. You can click on these and minimize that set so that you can see only those points you wish to see. Also, there is a print stylesheet that removes the quick links and displays it a little better.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
brolewis said:
Well, I'm already on to version 2. The link is the same. I've mainly just changed the layout and fixed typos. Also, you will now see down arrows next to the main install heading. You can click on these and minimize that set so that you can see only those points you wish to see. Also, there is a print stylesheet that removes the quick links and displays it a little better.
Even better!! Thanks again

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey there brolewis,
Excellent instructions, and clarity. Revisions are awesome. So now that you written all this, what brand of speakers did you install, and the sounds? Curious minds wants to know.
This would be a great upgrade for even the factory installed sound system. Since the EX and SI sound systems are identical, your front speaker guide should work. Now for the rear speaker guide?! NAH! Keep up the good work. Webby may make you the resident technical writer for this sight

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
acetech808 said:
So now that you written all this, what brand of speakers did you install, and the sounds? Curious minds wants to know.
I went with the Infinity Reference series. Its hard to comment on them yet because they are not as sensitive a speaker as the stock speakers and so the rear is overpowering the fronts in the mids, giving a wierd effect. However, the highs and mids, when listening only to the front, are noticably cleaner.

acetech808 said:
Now for the rear speaker guide?! NAH! Keep up the good work.
My rear speakers came in today... Alpine S-series.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LX Sedan - no tweeters ;-(

Can anyone comment on the LX Sedan that does NOT have tweeters in the dash:

1) Do you think there is a wiring harness run to the tweeter locations?

2) If not, and I pull my own wire, where would I tie into - harness on back of OEM head unit, parallel off of front door speakers?!?

3) What size tweeter will physically fit in this space with little or no modifications?

·
Registered
339 Posts
sorry to break it to you...but in the LX, there is no pod for the tweeter. There is a writeup on polkaudio.com/forums about a guy installing tweeters in his LX. He ended up having to flush mount the tweeters into the cover where the factory tweeters go in the EX and Si.

At that point I would just install them into the plastic piece in the corner of your door.

·
Registered
967 Posts
kish-81 said:
Can anyone comment on the LX Sedan that does NOT have tweeters in the dash:

1) Do you think there is a wiring harness run to the tweeter locations?

2) If not, and I pull my own wire, where would I tie into - harness on back of OEM head unit, parallel off of front door speakers?!?

3) What size tweeter will physically fit in this space with little or no modifications?
1. I removed the grill and there are no wires, but a hole.
2. Yes you would run the tweeters in parallel to the front door, just make sure you use the crossover that waas included with the tweeter.
3. The tweeter opening is 1" in diamter. I will measur the mounting hle and let you know what outside diameter would fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. The information on the tweeter mounting hole and depth would be helpful. I am in the process of installing a system in my Civic and would like to know these specs before purchasing the component speakers for the front.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Cocoa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts