8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had just replaced front brake pads/rotors and a passenger side cv axle and noticed some noise coming from the same side where I had just replaced the axle.

The problem was 1st noticed when I heard a grinding/scraping noise when turning left. I inspected it and noticed one of the (new) brake clips was cutting into the rotor. So, I jacked up the car and checked for wheel play. There was a lot of wheel play. Apparently the wheel play was bad enough to cause the rotor to move all the way to just about touch the caliper bracket and scrape along the bake pad clips cutting into the new rotor.

So I checked for known issues that can cause wheel play. The tie rods looked fine as did the ball joints. The only thing moving was the hub and cv axle. So, I figured it was a bearing issue. Removed the knuckle/hub/wheel bearing assembly. I bought a new hub and new bearings at O'Reily's and had a local shop press them in as a hydraulic press is required for this process. I put the assembly back on the car to specs and there was no more wheel play. Problem solved. So I figured. After test driving for awhile, I started to hear the noise again. Wheel play is back, and the new brake clips are cutting into a new rotor. WTF!!? Now, I'm back to square one. What to do?

Am I wrong? Is it not wheel bearings? Maybe I'm right and the shop didn't press them in correctly? Perhaps the new CV axle is bad? Brand new parts maybe bad?

2008 Civic Si Sedan
Stock Suspension and OEM parts used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having EXACT SAME PROBLEM did you find out you're problem? I really am started to worry about this and can't really find a good answer anywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
r18boi_
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing