8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

For like the last 3 years my front left drivers door speaker has not worked, I figured it was the speaker that was blown. I finally got around to replacing all of my speakers with aftermarket upgrades, and the same speaker still doesn't work - so it has to be the wiring somewhere. The front left tweeter puts out some sound, so seems to only be the door.

My question is, where is the most likely problem to be within the wiring? I have no idea where to begin to try to fix this. I took the radio out and checked all the harnesses in the back, didn't fix anything. Is there a fuse or a known connection that could be a trouble spot? Please help, i'm very frustrated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would remove the head, and unplug the speaker and check the continuity between the head plug and the door speaker. Its possible that perhaps the amp has an issue and that channel is dead. If there is no continuity the head still could be bad but at least you will know that the wiring does have a problem. Best to suspect connections or anyplace the wire is bent, or cycled a great deal such as around the door hinge area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RedCoupe...

This actually turned out to be the world's easiest fix and frankly i'm a little embarrassed by how long I went without a working speaker because of this but I will post it here in case other noobs like myself have the same problem in the future.

Once I learned the wiring diagrams/wire colors from this helpful forum (see pinned threads) I knew that pink and light green were for the front left speaker. Climbed under the dash and boom - there's an unplugged light green wire connection. The speaker wires are the ONLY wires that have these in-line connectors between the door harness and the dash harness, and they are easily knocked loose by your foot or something. Wrapped 'em up with some electrical tape to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Hope this helps someone some day!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ah, well there is your problem. Its not OEM! ;)
At least those bits are not original to the wiring harness, car alarm/remote start install gone wrong perhaps, but such a creative and yet failure prone solution they came up with.

You could just remove those connectors and just solder the speaker wires back together and tape or shrink wrap them up, less likely to fail. But the prospect of just plugging it back in does seem attractive.

Glad it was an easy fix for you.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm actually having the same problem with my driver speakers as well.. I might have to take a look and see if that is my case as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts