8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a front bra for the Si. I can get them brand new from the dealer for $108. It covers the whole front nose. This car sees alot of highway driving and I am looking to protect the paint. Last car looked like crap after 1 year of new paint.

Anyways, the one that is OEM would probably fit the best. Has the Si logo molded into it too. Does anyone have any pics of this one installed or maybe can recommend a different brand (by personal expierence only please)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the OEM one and it fits good. Over 10K so far with it. Just wash the car a lot, and wax it alot, and have to keep the bra very clean!!

Also take it off for around town.

On problem spot I have is around the back of the head light and the top Fender as you can some what see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the bra for trips across provinces and it's is definitely a good purchase. $108 sounds like a steal, I paid $130-140 for mine off ebay shipped.

It's some what of a PITA the first time you install it, but after you get used to it and know where everything goes it isn't that bad.

I take mine off in the rain, and make sure to wipe the inside with a wet cloth with some mild soap. Wax under the bra before!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have the clearbra and it has been a lifesaver. Paint is flawless on the front...even after a 1200mile trip.

My old car was chipped up in 6 months!

·
Registered
306 Posts
^ from what I was told Yes

Also my car was hit last week by some on backing up. Bra took the hit and broke a strap and a small scrach in the paint that I can hide.

It is a lot of work but for the price it is worth it. 3M clear bra was $600+ I can repaint the front end in a couple of year and still have the OEM bra for less.

Also mine fits tight around the lower headlights. I have to unscrew the bumper pop it off and then push the tab in and rescrew the bumper take maybe 2 min tops and I know it is held in good.

Over all for the work and price you can't go wrong as long as you are anal about washing and waxing the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a OEM one on my my si and it gave good protection on road trips and for driving between Fort Worth and Dallas for work. I did have to put some black on some of the tabs to make them fit a little tighter but was no big deal. I also got one for my Accord and use it for long trips because I moved and lonly live 2 miles from work. Like someone else said you do have to take it off and clean it every now and again. It is also good to keep the area under it well waxed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Never been a fan of those black nose masks. They require cleaning and maintenance, dirt trapped in between it and the car could leave you with scratches, and you'll have to remove it once the rain comes.

If you're willing to part with the extra cash, I'd definitely invest in a clear bra.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the OEM front bra from the dealer. Should be here in a few days. I dont mind taking it off and cleaning it every now and then.

Next couple things I need to do is eliminate the day time running lights (relay swap) or change the color of the bulb atleast. Then need an intake, short throw shifter, rear sway bar, engine torque bar, and tint.

Any suggestions on who to go with? I know I am going with an injen intake and a corsport rear sway bar.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Everyone i've known who put a bra on their car had 2 different colours when it came off due to UV degradation. One where the bra was and the other the rest of the car.

Why put a big expensive monstrosity on your front clip when a $5 jar of touch up paint will last years and you can still see the clip as it was designed?

So from what i can gather it's there for life. Why protect what you'll never see?

I had friends when i was younger that had parents that would put plastic all over their furniture in the living room. Some would even rope off the living rooms completely.

I bet they spent a few bucks on their stuff and was comfortable and such, but why cover it? I always wondered why they never just bought couches and chairs with tarps sewn into them as it was no different.

I am guilty of covering my passenger seat with a blanket but my dog rides daily with me to where we run and she swims there too so i hate the mud ruining the seat before i take a girl out. At least i take it off so it can be enjoyed as it was designed.

Anyway. Sorry about the rant and the analogies.
It's my point of view and it's always been that way about the bras.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I painted her 97 Civic last year. I was washing it before I got read to sell it and it had over 200 chips in the paint in the front due to highway driving. I used PPG paint base/clear 2 stage. Im all set with that happening to this car after a year. It looked like **** when washed. Now this Si is black and will show EVERYTHING! Color fade? Please educate yourself. Your being simple minded. It would take 15+ years to color fade.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would go with the clear one that the dealer offers.
Not a bad idea. It's there for life and has a good durability. It's a bit off to the eye but the chips only upset the coating instead of digging through the paint and promoting rust and such. If it comes with a lifetime on it i'd be in.:dance:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts