8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I am a good deal away from biting the bullet and trading away the spec V. I bought the car oct 7, they pretty much gave the car away (I know why now) I put it in the shop for a weird vibration/groaning sound nov 7 and it was in the shop from nov 7 till Jan 2nd.

So, I may be in an Si here shortly, trying to decide between coupe or sedan..

I am wondering one thing though, there are a lot of slightly used SI's for sale, is there something wrong, or some novelty that wears off quick, that I should look out for before buying?

Sorry in advance for grammar/spelling....

(Located in Virginia, if anyone knows where I can get a good deal)

Edit: just noticed I joined in 05.. that makes me an o.g eventhough I am now just about to get one o.0

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If you do purchase a used one, look for problems with the thrid gear. Do the usual things you would do when looking at a car you would buy. Check for exterior damage, inspect the engine etc. If you have any friends that are mechanics, get them to take a look at the car. I bought my 07 Si used but had very few miles on it and was like new.

Go for the coupe. Looks alot nicer IMO. It's a sports car, you want 2 doors not 4. lol

·
Premium Member
5,368 Posts
I would say the only novelty that wears on some is the high-revving lack of torque that is common to Honda's offerings. It's tremendously fun, but it's not so important or exciting when you're sitting in traffic rowing through the gears, or when you need the car to get up and move now.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
There's many reasons why people are "getting rid of them". I do find a lot of people upgrading though. If I get rid of mine, it will be to downgrade myself into an 00-03 S2000. It's actually going to be cheaper for me to go that way, instead of keeping my Si. We'll see how insurance companies like that come my birthday. :thumb:

Go for whatever you like. There's no real difference between the two except the two doors and extra headroom in the back. If you need something with more utility, get the Sedan. If you don't, and like the coupe styling more (which I do), get the coupe.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Coupe or Sedan is a matter of taste. I like the look of the Sedan but I like the Coupes frt bumper better. As far as the getting tired of the car you have to ask yourself, do you like shifting (A LOT). Whats your drive to work like? The car rides on the stiff side. It's not real quiet. There are issues with 3rd gear that Honda is not doing anything about (the MTF change is BS). Insurance. The coupe cost more to insure than the sedan. Remember this is a sporty car and drives like one. It's not going to ride like an Accord. You have to rev the piss out of it to make it go. Sounds great though when your above 5 grand. It's a speeding ticket waiting to happen. Decent stereo but it's a pain to upgrade. Those are just some pros and cons off the top of my head. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coupe or Sedan is a matter of taste. I like the look of the Sedan but I like the Coupes frt bumper better. As far as the getting tired of the car you have to ask yourself, do you like shifting (A LOT). Whats your drive to work like? The car rides on the stiff side. It's not real quiet. There are issues with 3rd gear that Honda is not doing anything about (the MTF change is BS). Insurance. The coupe cost more to insure than the sedan. Remember this is a sporty car and drives like one. It's not going to ride like an Accord. You have to rev the piss out of it to make it go. Sounds great though when your above 5 grand. It's a speeding ticket waiting to happen. Decent stereo but it's a pain to upgrade. Those are just some pros and cons off the top of my head. GOOD LUCK!

My last 5 cars have been stick, i am fine with it in traffic, or on the open road.

two cars ago I had an rsx type-s (got totalled by a semi in an accident) So the torquelessness is not an issue, I was just more or less wondering why so many were for sale used, wondered if there was some issue other than the 3rd gear issue... trading up I can understand..

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
It is somewhat annoying going through 1st, 2nd, *and* 3rd into 4th to get decent speed going. But, as soon as I'm on the onramp to the freeway...all is forgiven. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jebsus! in the shop for 2 months after only having it a month?! what was wrong?

I have no clue, I just asked if it was "safe" to drive, they said yes.. I went to pick it up, now I am looking to ditch it quick. (sure i could lemon law it, but that is not a quick process by any means, not to mention I still need 1 more valid repair attempt.)

Anyways mind you this is on a brand new car.. no accidents

They replaced the front wheel bearings.
They replaced part of the rear beam axle assembly
They have on order a replacement power steering control unit.

(The sound/vibration I described above started when the car had 300 miles, they ordered all these parts when the car hit 800 miles.)

Since I got it back, with the new wheel bearings and whatever they did in the rear, the car feels sloppy, like something is loose, when I take off at a stop light, it almost feels as if the wheels are spinning without actually spinning (kind of hard to describe) Anyways.. all of that adds up to time to get rid of it.

Oh I forgot to mention.. tail lights were cracking (noticed that day 4 of having it) and clear coat was peeling (wtf) pics of said issues.

Pic of car

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
my neighbor just switched from an 02 spec v to an 08 si, couldnt be happier! His spec v was on motor #4...hahah
Yeah, a friend of mine has an... 01, I think? And 3k miles in, he was already complaining about brakes (dunno why...) and having to change his spark plugs. o_O

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Play nice. =P

They do have the GT-R. And all of the Infiniti brand. It's just the Sentras that blow. =\
Not quite..

the versa's blow harder than the sentras
The titans have a lot of issues.
Xterras are hit or miss.
350z has a shitty interior for a car of that price
don't get me started on altimas (pre redesign) New altima seems ok so far.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Not quite..

the versa's blow harder than the sentras
The titans have a lot of issues.
Xterras are hit or miss.
350z has a shitty interior for a car of that price
don't get me started on altimas (pre redesign) New altima seems ok so far.
Ouch, that sucks. My friend's altima has no problems, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I had a 95 pathfinder and it was pretty good. I looked at all nissans before buying the Si and none of them seemed to have the quality of my pathfinder. I love my si and am very happy with it so far.

BTW, welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
I have no clue, I just asked if it was "safe" to drive, they said yes.. I went to pick it up, now I am looking to ditch it quick. (sure i could lemon law it, but that is not a quick process by any means, not to mention I still need 1 more valid repair attempt.)

Anyways mind you this is on a brand new car.. no accidents

They replaced the front wheel bearings.
They replaced part of the rear beam axle assembly
They have on order a replacement power steering control unit.

(The sound/vibration I described above started when the car had 300 miles, they ordered all these parts when the car hit 800 miles.)

Since I got it back, with the new wheel bearings and whatever they did in the rear, the car feels sloppy, like something is loose, when I take off at a stop light, it almost feels as if the wheels are spinning without actually spinning (kind of hard to describe) Anyways.. all of that adds up to time to get rid of it.

Oh I forgot to mention.. tail lights were cracking (noticed that day 4 of having it) and clear coat was peeling (wtf) pics of said issues.

Shame, it's a good looking car. I like the color alot!
Was actually considering getting a B15 SE-R a few years back.

I saw that you used to own an RSX-S, so you're no stranger to the Honda family. I'd say go for the Si!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts