8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you guys let the dealership change the oil for free and use what ever oil they use or would you do it yourself with your choice of oil i personally like to use mobil 1 but got coupons for free oil changes from the dealer what would you guys do?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
the dealership is going to torque wrench your oil drain bolt and filter on REALLY tightly. if you've been changing your own oil up to this point, i'd recommend skipping the free change to save yourself the headache of removing the filter (which is ALLLLLLL the way up in there... hard to really wrench on something that is barely within arm's reach.)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Take advantage of the free change if they will let you do it early for the first few changes and getting to the dealership isn't too big a deal. The used oil analyses I've seen of a Si changed according to the MM at the dealership showed that the oil was probably in a little too long. I live 110 miles from my dealership and like doing it myself and hate others working on my car (seen too many stupid mistakes) so perfer to pay to do it myself than have the dealership do it for free but I understand why most folks are not in this boat.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
Do it yourself. When I bought my car used, the dealer had done an oil change before I bought the car but within a week I noticed a small puddle of oil under my car. When I checked it out it turned out that the dealer and not tightened down the drain bolt and I was about a quart low.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
would you guys let the dealership change the oil for free and use what ever oil they use or would you do it yourself with your choice of oil i personally like to use mobil 1 but got coupons for free oil changes from the dealer what would you guys do?
they will probably use a blend synthetic. itll be fine, and then do ur oil changes after they do it. but have fun wit the oil filter :badger:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.