8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2010 Civic Si Sedan seems to have an appetite for its rear seatbelts. Attached are two photos showing both the normally retracted and partially deployed positions. Notice the cutting/fraying starting from the left belt edge. It appears that the plastic trim piece that surrounds the belt as it exits the seatback shoulder area is very sharp and is slowly sawing through the belts. This seems to be occurring in the "at rest" position during normal driving. The car had 5,984 miles at the time these photos were taken. My dealer has never seen this before :clapping:. Has anyone else?

Thanks for any input.

Vehicle Auto part Car Car seat cover Seat belt

Car seat cover Vehicle door Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
shouldn't the dealer replace this?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Very strange? My 08 doesn't have this problem and I'm always hauling my two little ones in the back, so the belts are always going in and out.

What did the dealer say? I know, because of liability issues, they usually don't want to touch the seat belts.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Very strange? My 08 doesn't have this problem and I'm always hauling my two little ones in the back, so the belts are always going in and out.

What did the dealer say? I know, because of liability issues, they usually don't want to touch the seat belts.
Well the thing is that the belt is defective. In an accident the belts should lock up to prevent violent body hurling. The tare causes a weak point and could snap the belt with the force of the body moving forward. So I would consider this a potential safety issue, not to mention a lawsuit. They may not do anything with it at the dealer but they might send it Honda and have then replace the belt along with fixing the plastic piece that caused this.

At least thats what I would do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well the thing is that the belt is defective. In an accident the belts should lock up to prevent violent body hurling. The tare causes a weak point and could snap the belt with the force of the body moving forward. So I would consider this a potential safety issue, not to mention a lawsuit. They may not do anything with it at the dealer but they might send it Honda and have then replace the belt along with fixing the plastic piece that caused this.

At least thats what I would do.
Yeah, I understand the safety part and I'm not arguing that point, if it were mine I would want them fixed. I'm only saying that in my experience with a dealer and a seat belt issue before they are very reluctant to touch the seat belts. Not saying they won't, but be ready to fight to get what you want.

I hate dealers!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yeah, I understand the safety part and I'm not arguing that point, if it were mine I would want them fixed. I'm only saying that in my experience with a dealer and a seat belt issue before they are very reluctant to touch the seat belts. Not saying they won't, but be ready to fight to get what you want.

I hate dealers!
And your right. Be prepared to, shall I say, :box:.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Just take it into the dealer. There is no reason they shouldn't fix the belt under warranty. As others have stated, this is a huge safety risk for anyone that uses that seat belt.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Maybe im missing something but why would the dealer not do anything/mess with the seatbelts?

They are essential for the safety but they won't do anything about it? i don't get it.

I guess it would be dealer then to Honda of America if the dealer won't do anything about it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Maybe im missing something but why would the dealer not do anything/mess with the seatbelts?

They are essential for the safety but they won't do anything about it? i don't get it.

I guess it would be dealer then to Honda of America if the dealer won't do anything about it.
Because it's Honda Motor Company's problem. Once they get involved and touch the seat belt, it now becomes their problem. Most of them don't want to take on that liability.... I'm guessing?????

If something were to happen now, even though they have seen it, they will say it's Honda's fault not theirs. I guess they don't like getting sued?

The issue I've had was not with Honda, but Toyota on an old car we used to own. This is what the Toyota dealer told me when I tried to get them to fix it. I'm sure most of the other dealers feel the same way.

It does suck for us though, we just want our cars fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine too

Hello,

My 2010 Civic Si Sedan seems to have an appetite for its rear seatbelts. Attached are two photos showing both the normally retracted and partially deployed positions. Notice the cutting/fraying starting from the left belt edge. It appears that the plastic trim piece that surrounds the belt as it exits the seatback shoulder area is very sharp and is slowly sawing through the belts. This seems to be occurring in the "at rest" position during normal driving. The car had 5,984 miles at the time these photos were taken. My dealer has never seen this before :clapping:. Has anyone else?

Thanks for any input.

View attachment 30129

View attachment 30130
Mine is a 2010 tan EX-L sedan, and my daughter pointed it out to me this morning. I have about 25,000 miles on mine.

I am in Canada, and will let you know what the dealer says - anyone else?

·
Registered
60 Posts
old thread..

anyways, as far as i know honda will replace seatbelts under warranty for the life of the car. i know for a fact that nissan does this as im a tech at a nissan dealer. there is no reason why a dealership wouldnt want to replace a seat belt under warranty, if that was the case then dealerships wouldnt want to touch anything or replace anything.

·
Registered
904 Posts
old thread..

anyways, as far as i know honda will replace seatbelts under warranty for the life of the car. i know for a fact that nissan does this as im a tech at a nissan dealer. there is no reason why a dealership wouldnt want to replace a seat belt under warranty, if that was the case then dealerships wouldnt want to touch anything or replace anything.
Honda will replace any seat belt on any Honda car for completely free of charge. Buddy took his (my old) 1991 CRX with 235,000 miles and not a single stock part on it (had like 3 or 4 different vins from all the swaps!) and they did it with no questions asked.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Right, it's a safety issue so they will fix the seat belts for free. If they don't I think they could get into quite a bit of trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts