8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading a ton of threads and believe I've narrowed down what I would like to get. I would like some info from all if you if y'all don't mind. So here is what I have:

2009 FA5 NHBP

I want 18s for the look but am concerned about ride quality. I plan to get Eibach ProKit springs at the same time I purchase new wheels and tires. This is a daily driver though I plan on doing a few mods.

As for the wheels/tires I'm looking at:

17x8 235/40-17 +45mm
18x8 235/35-18 +45mm

From all I've read a 235 tire on ProKit should produce no rubbing at all. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

The last thing is the TPMS. I've read you can re-use the stock sensors in most cases. Would y'all recommend buying new sensors? TireRack offers sensors and their own reset tool for $280.

I understand some of these questions may be answered in other threads. I've read through 100s if not 1000s of posts in multiple threads to get to where I am now. I am looking to get better looks but also get some performance gains for future mods. (i.e. I/H/E/FP)

Thanks upfront for any input.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think you should drive up to Dallas and pick up my 18x8 +35 RPF1s I have for sale :)

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
<3 07 since i have no tpms.

Dont worry much about rubbing if you're running a x8 45ot. Should be a very easy fit with the 235 tires. and for 18s get a 235/40, 35 sidewall would make it a rough ride and it seems you arnt looking for that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you have over an inch drop I would go for the 17's. They will still look nice but give you better performance than the 18's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input.

With all the wheels I'm considering, regardless of 17 or 18 I will be saving 3+lbs. at each corner. In some combinations I'm looking at saving 5-6lbs. per corner. With 12-25lbs less of unsprung weight I hope to notice some improvements.

So y'all think a 235/40-17 would rub on Eibach Prokit? It seems in the sticky about wheel/tire combinations that work someone is running that size on Eibach Sportlines.

Another question I have is even with saving 3+lbs. at each corner is there that much of a difference in power with 17s over 18s?

I know 235/35-18 has some thin sidewalls but I don't mind a slightly harsher ride if I'm going to get more rubber on the road.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
<3 07 since i have no tpms.
and for 18s get a 235/40, 35 sidewall would make it a rough ride and it seems you arnt looking for that.
:yeahthat:

I had some 18's with a 40 side wall and noticed a significant increase in ride roughness over the stock 17's with 45 side wall. After about a year I ended up going back to stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:yeahthat:

I had some 18's with a 40 side wall and noticed a significant increase in ride roughness over the stock 17's with 45 side wall. After about a year I ended up going back to stock.
Well, that might be enough for me to look at going with 235/40-17 on some 17x8 wheels.

I still can't seem to get a definite answer on a 235 tire rubbing with +45 offset and Eibach ProKit.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you're trying to cut down on unsprung weight there's no reason to go with 235s. Just get 225s and take comfort in less unsprung/rotational weight and no rubbing issues, guaranteed. And if you want more grip, get better tires.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're trying to cut down on unsprung weight there's no reason to go with 235s. Just get 225s and take comfort in less unsprung/rotational weight and no rubbing issues, guaranteed. And if you want more grip, get better tires.
Yea, I'm thinking a big part of my frustration with the stock tires are their traction. As for the weight there really isn't a weight difference with 225 vs, 235.

The nice thing about a 235/40-17 or 235/35-18 is they are almost identical to stock overall diameter. A 225/45-17 or 225/40-18 has a larger overall diameter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.