8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ID10T
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This class-action lawsuit has finally been settled. The all-plastic intake manifold on 4.6 L V-8 engines has been known to crack over time. The replacement part is an upgraded version with an aluminum coolant crossover. I replaced the intake on my Mustang at my own cost so I will get reimbursed by Ford. Looks like the high cost of dealer service is coming back to haunt them. I think $735 is an average of what they would charge to complete the job, which is really high.

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has finalized a settlement that requires the automaker to pay at least $735 each to sedan owners who had to replace an intake manifold, attorneys for the plaintiffs said Friday.

Ford also is extending warranty coverage on the plastic part to seven years to cover vehicle owners who haven't replaced the manifold. The class-action lawsuit covered a total of 1.8 million vehicle owners, according to Morrow Cater, a spokeswoman for the plaintiffs.

A spokeswoman for the automaker, Kathleen Vokes, said Ford doesn't know how much the settlement will cost since it's unclear how many people will seek reimbursement.

An intake manifold is a pipe that supplies a mixture of fuel and air to the engine's cylinders. Vehicles included in the settlement are the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car from the 1996-2001 model years; the Mercury Cougar, Ford Thunderbird and Ford Mustang from 1997; some Mustangs from the 1998-2001 model years; and some Ford Explorers from the 2002 model year.

Plaintiffs claimed the intake manifolds are prone to premature cracking, which could lead to coolant leakage and expensive damage to the engine.

"Until this settlement, those who owned or leased these cars had to bear the brunt of the manufacturer's mistake," Mike Ram, one of the plaintiffs attorneys, said in a statement.

"Although we believe the class action was without merit, we are pleased that we were able to negotiate a settlement that will provide additional value to our customers," Ford's Vokes said.

Owners who replaced their intake manifolds within the first seven years of ownership can take the vehicles to a dealer and obtain reimbursement whether or not they have a receipt. The vehicle must be brought to a dealer by March 16.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
my gosh that's crazy. That will be a ton of cars.

So - what do you plan on doing with your 735 dollars!

·
ID10T
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need subframe connectors for the car in a bad way so I might get those done. Might get 4.10 gears. I've been spying a new Les Paul or Fender Strat at the local music shop as well.

I'm in love:
Midnight Burst Les Paul Standard Limited Edition

~$3000 :eek:wned:

·
Registered
342 Posts
So if you haven't replaced your manifold yet you get the warrantee extended out to seven years. Then if it cracks after seven years you are SOL. Now I don't know about you guys, but I pretty much expect the intake manifold on my car to last the life of the car. Ten to twelve years for me.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Shemmy said:
I need subframe connectors for the car in a bad way so I might get those done. Might get 4.10 gears. I've been spying a new Les Paul or Fender Strat at the local music shop as well.

I'm in love:
Midnight Burst Les Paul Standard Limited Edition

~$3000 :eek:wned:

awwww...sweet!! A Les Paul guitar :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts