8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well my car is sitting at the dealership right now, getting the transmission looked at for the third gear grind/third gear poping out. and they cant find anything wrong with anything. bushings are lining up, fluid is all good. they tried driving it several times to get it to grind/pop out and of course it drove perfectly fine. the tech said he was going to do a few more checks and see if he can come up with anything. my SI also has 14,000 kms on it... which from what im reading is when people are experiencing the problem with the third gear.

any suggestions from the people who have had theirs in for the third gear service?

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
All you can theoretically do is replace the manual transmission fluid to alleviate the issue - grind/popping out. They can crack the transmission open and replace mechanics of the transmission, but unless Honda actually implements a fix, the issue will still be there or resurface. It's a widespread problem.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
yeah it would even be pointless to replace the part with the same faulty part. it will just do it again

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I've had the third gear grind since the first day I drove the car, and while the new Honda MTF alleviated it slightly, it's been doing it more and more frequently as of late.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
ahhh, ok?, there is a fix and my car is getting it, i mentioned this in the mechanical problems section twice now, i should be getting th car back tomorow.

i took mine in and the ripped it all apart and they are prettymuch replaceing everything but the mainshaft and the case, all new bearings, gears, synchros, fork, sliders bushings...and the final drive aswell...

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
^ that's fantastic. I don't know many, if any others who have gotten fixed like you.

However, I question whether this will actually fix it. Isn't it just a flaw with the vehicle's transmission.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
That is alot of work to fix it. I had the third gear grind for a while and i changed my trans oil to amsoil and have not had it ever since. I have 50k miles on my car.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i have almost 50k and ive had it for almost two years and 3rd would pop out once a week... they are replaceing some components such as the final drive due to a bit of abuse, and other parts due to powershifting, but they are good in not making me pay for it or even telling me right out that its my fault, the service guy just laughed it off, and said that the tranny looks like its seen it share of fun and i flat out told him that i sometimes like once every few months powershift, he asks me what rpm i launch at so i told him that i launch at around 3000-3500 and he said that if it where his car that he would do it at 5500 if he where taking it to the track... lol

very cool people about this sort of thing, but thats what you get if your always nice to them and bring coffe and offer beer(he always says no?)

some people just get rapped by there dealers, i thank jeebus that mine is cool about issues, like my exhaust...

At my first oil change i go in and tell them that there is coads on the dash and not to worry about them, to which he replies "that exhaust must sound awsome*wink wink*" and thats it, no your warranty is void nothing...

·
Registered
117 Posts
portabuddy said:
some people just get rapped by there dealers, i thank jeebus that mine is cool about issues, like my exhaust...

At my first oil change i go in and tell them that there is coads on the dash and not to worry about them, to which he replies "that exhaust must sound awsome*wink wink*" and thats it, no your warranty is void nothing...
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
My dealer is pretty badass about **** like that too.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
im getting updated parts, i had to wait a damm weak for honda to release the parts for use and now im still waiting on more parts...???

this is going on three wheeks that they had my car... the longest that i have ever been without a car, and no rental...

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I'm NOT calling BS... just asking a question...

How is it that you, TS, get updated parts in your tranny yet nobody else does and nobody else even really has heard about them? Are you a gunea pig or something?

Again, I'm not calling BS and I hope everything works 100% for you, but how did you get updated parts?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My gf's 07 Si with ~7k is in this week getting a completely new transmission. The mechanic was able to easily reproduce the 3rg gear grind/pop, and so far the process has been easy; the service rep hasn't once dragged his feet on getting the new transmission approved.

If this issue has been around since the release of the 6th Gen Si, hopefully Honda, after the 3rd year, has corrected the problem.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I'm also wondering how people drove/drive their car who are seeing this issue. Like I've mentioned, my RSX-S has NONE of these issues (and yes, the RSX is plagued with these as well). I just wonder if it has anything to do with break in, or how it's driven on a daily basis or what. Personally, my car is a commuter car so it sees very few shifts every day cause its mostly on the HW. I NEVER race it (street or track) and I never shift hard...

That being said, I HAVE tried to reproduce this on my RSX transmission with no success.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't drive my car very hard, just normally. i only play around with the ivetch once in a while. my BF has even driven my car normally and it does it. and the techs at the dealership say theres nothing wrong... everything is lining up and he looked it up on their computer or whatever they do and told me that there is nothing from honda themselves having issues with the third gear. (i kinda find that hard to believe) so... ya.. to answer the question of how i drive my car... i baby her. im pushing the clutch in all the way when shifting... im not bagging it, i drive it the same way everyday, so theres no variation on my driving, i dont know why it happens... or the cause... its completely random. somedays it will happen like twice a day... and then it wont happen for a few weeks... and then it will happen a month later.. and then 3 days in a row... and then nothing again for a few weeks.

and im surprised that people are getting parts replaced in the tranny for this issue... because apparently there is no known issue with honda on this. maybe they are getting parts replaced because there *is* something wrong with a part... shrug. i dunno.

after getting my car back last night they basically told me to keep a log on it, monitor the rpm's when it happens, the speed, whether the car is warm/cold how often so that they can diagnose a problem *if* there is one. guess ill just see what happens from here.

but i'm definatley going in to get my warantee extended to the MAX! lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Update: the dealership called my gf last night and said that they ARE NOT going to replace OR rebuild, and are only going to replace the fluid. Thats a crock, because they already took the transmission apart, you would think they refilled with new fluid! This is annoying because my girl is driving my beater car all the time now, and I have to drive my Z to work in rush hour traffic :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts