8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the cable that controls forward and reverse shifts there is a boot tucked into a slightly larger boot in a metal bracket, this boot covers the cable. (Big bushing). That boot is held into the bigger boot with a octagonal staple looking thing, now mine keeps slipping out and its creating a very mushy feel in forward shifts. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to remedy it? It would be a shame to take the car to the dealer for a staple.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Dude, i install them so long ago that i don't know what you are talking about, but i do remember that i drop one of those metal bushings into the center console and i had to remove the hole thing, and that made the install of the bushing alot easier, and taking the center console is not hard at all, there is a DIY on this site on how to take the center console apart, just search for it.

I hope this helps you if not am sorry.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of what your talking about since I never touched the rubber boot when installing mine, but maybe try to squeeze (tighten) the staple (a pin?) with pliers to get a more snug fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try tightening it with pliers. if that doesent work then ill prolly clean it up and use super glue. If i ever had to get it off some nail polish remover would do the trick, if i get my hands on a digi cam ill post some pics. If you have a cold air its easy to see what im talking about. Look at the big bushing and follow the accordion boot back until it stops at a bracket. it may look like one piece but its two.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Please don't use super glue. Fix the problem, don't rig it. This is just like putting a body kit on your car to cover damage. :pat:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant hobby grade tire glue, im taking it to the dealer on friday. The only reason i didnt glue it is because id need to boil water to get it off. Far from rigging, just not oem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda dealer fixed it for me FoC, i told them the whole story. Shifter bushings are in with amsoil synchromesh and i am loving it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fully replaced both shifter cables. They dont have a tool to tighten the clamp, and the boot cant be ordered seperatley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts