8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention. I found it more less humorous and have never seen people try and charge this fee before.

Doing this could potentially cause you to lose your account! I recommending adding this as a rule to remove sellers from charging this.

I've been a member of a few forums and have never seen this happen. Hate to see paypal get on here and have a hay day.

Pay Pal Policy:
4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
im pretty sure that rule is for people using paypal as their means of accepting credit cards and such as a business not for the business that happens here which is individuals having independent transactions

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure that rule is for people using paypal as their means of accepting credit cards and such as a business not for the business that happens here which is individuals having independent transactions
No sir, I believe it applies to everyone with an account. Businesses do have additional rules however and higher %'s.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just trying to make you aware. Other car forums have it against rules to charge member the paypal fee for a reason.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Personally, I think it's ridiculous that PayPal charges any fees. However, I guess they have to make their money somewhere. It just makes me wonder why anyone uses PayPal anymore for their eBay transactions. You figure if you sell an item for around $49, they'll take near $10 in eBay and PayPal fees. :bsflag:

Fees FTL.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I agree with you. I stopped using ebay to sell items and started using craigslist more. Paypal isn't as bad. I'd rather spare an extra dollar than going to the post office for a money order.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yeah I agree with you. I stopped using ebay to sell items and started using craigslist more. Paypal isn't as bad. I'd rather spare an extra dollar than going to the post office for a money order.
Nah, PayPal isn't too bad. But with eBay putting limits on shipping costs and charging their own fees, it's a bit ridiculous. I've lost money on shipping before because you want to require insurance on a big ticket item, but you have to cover it because eBay won't let you go high enough. And it's only getting worse with the USPS rates going up. But that's an eBay matter and not a PayPal one. I don't mind paying the PayPal fees if it's not on top of other fees. It's really not too bad by itself.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I have been "shut down" by Paypal before for charging different prices for paypal vs cash/check. So they certainly can and do use that policy. But I know of very few folks who've actually been shut down.

Dave
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM

eos-m42guy
Dave -- Were you "shut down" due to a transaction on eBay, FM or where?
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM

tracknut
Selling off my own website (not photo-related). I can only think I may have been turned in by some business competitor.

Dave
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Paypal fees of 3-4% - FM Forums

=============

so fredmiranda was not the only site I saw something similar to this above.

so it looks like transactions where you're accepting paypal as a payment need to be fixed. If you're the seller, you'll need to post a set price to absorb the paypal "fees", and not state an extra fee % for accepting paypal.

If users see something like this - they can report the post, so staff can notify the user of the change. I will get something updated in the sale rules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.