8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i been having problem with my other car, 1998 mitsu galant es, and the forum for that car is not active as this forum is. so here it goes:
my problem is that every time i start up the car the high pitch sound comes out from the pulley/alternator/water pump section. i tried to reduce sound by adding wd40, and not working as well i as i expected. i will try to upload a video what im talking about.
i already replaced water pump, and new belt. can the problem comes from elsewhere i do not know about?

oh that sounds disappear after couple minutes of starting. and sometimes it comes up when im accelerating medium to hard.

video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4602370347/

help? its getting annoying.

i know its not 8th gen civic, but i do own a fg2 and loving it except the cheap interior lol.

ps i already went to 2 different mechanics that told me two different things. first mechanic told me that it was a belt, but other mechanic told me it was the water pump. and i did replace those two things.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Look close at all the pulleys for signs of rubber dust. If only one thing has dust on it (for instance, a bunch of black dust on the alternator) that could be where the problem resides.

After shutting the engine down carefully check to see if any of the pulleys seem way hotter than the rest (depending on how long the engine was running, they may all be a bit warm obviously), particularly in the center, or the center bolt itself (sign the bearing is going bad in that pulley). Also, if it's not too tough, remove the belt and carefully spin each pulley and see if you can feel any roughness or loosness in the bearings.

While the engine is running (while it is squeeking), spray the belt itself with white lithium grease (patroleum based products are bad for the rubber in the belt). First spray the flat side of the belt, then spray the ribbed side. If the noise stops (even briefly) then it's the belt making the noise. Depending on which side you sprayed when the noise stopped, that will help narrow down which pulley it's making noise on.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just went to buy the lithium grease and did what you said.
i checked some pulleys, and one that was close to the engine was really hot compare to the outer one. so i spread some grease on the bolt area and the belt itself. after i restarted the car and boom no sound. thx alot. but its too soon til tomorrow to start the car again.
if the pulley is the problem i have to go buy the new pulley correct? i cant just keep using the grease to cover up the sound.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
just went to buy the lithium grease and did what you said.
i checked some pulleys, and one that was close to the engine was really hot compare to the outer one. so i spread some grease on the bolt area and the belt itself. after i restarted the car and boom no sound. thx alot. but its too soon til tomorrow to start the car again.
if the pulley is the problem i have to go buy the new pulley correct? i cant just keep using the grease to cover up the sound.
Was it just an idler or tensioner pulley (not on an accessory such as a alternator, power steering pump, etc.)? If so, then you should be able to simply replace the pulley (typically between $10-$20 for the pulley). The bearing of idler and tensioner pulleys are built into the pulley, so replacing the pulley is essentially replacing the bearing in it.

If the belt itself was the root cause of the issue, and it wasn't cracked or bad, you could potentially use belt dressing to eliminate the sound. However, since you already replaced the belt it's likely that something else is the root cause. If a pulley bearing is going bad it will only get worse, and could eventually fail. This could cause the belt to come off and potentially get damaged (or damage something else), not to mention potentially leaving you without a water pump or power steering while driving. In short, if a pulley bearing is causing the issue it's best to replace it.

Since the pulley was mounted on (or close to) the engine, heat from the engine may have been the cause for the temp difference in the pulleys. If you remove the belt and spin the pulley you should be able to get an idea if the bearing is bad. It should spin smooth, with no roughness or grittiness, and it shouldn't feel loose.

Edit: Also, if the noise comes back, try spraying lubricant into the bearing of the pulley you suspect may be bad, but not on the belt. If that stops the noise then it's a good bet the pulley bearing is the culprit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i duno which pulley is which, but it was the one that directly connects to the engine. (sorry. lol) i will try to remove the the belt and do the testing, but if i failed to do so, i will probably gonna change the pulley, after its cheaper than i thought it would be

1 - 5 of 5 Posts