8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foglight Instructions??

I received a new set of foglights and roof visor for my 06 civic today, but neither of them came with any instructions for installing them. Does anyone know where I can get a copy via internet, fax, or e-mail? If not I guess I'll have to call up the the dealer up and just get them to fax me a copy later.

·
Registered
594 Posts
omg if you could do that... it would be great.... i really dont want to pay 300 bucks for installation =(

or ill talk to my mechanic and ask how much he would charge.... or a family mechanic friend...

i dont wanna mess anythin up with a new car =P

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
it's not too hard to remove the bumper guys. A set of ramps or some jack stands help out a lot but aren't required. There are just a lot of clips that hold the bumper under the hood by the radiator. Under the front bumper you'll also have to remove the rubber and plastic guards. Mine was just like... maybe 7 bolts, that you can remove with a wrench from below. After that - it was basically loose and could be pulled forward. Have an area clean with a large soft blanket or something though. You don't want to just place your new bumper on the garage floor or something. That shouldn't take you long to do, and you just reverse the process to put the bumper back on.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a pain in the ass to put the foglights on. I had a good friend help me out a little with the wiring part of it. The bumper came off and went back on very easily. The hard part was the wiring up under the dash. It was really hard removing all the plastic there and the wiring was a little difficult to figure out. You have to remove all three plugs from the back side of the fuse panel to plug in a couple of wires into two of the plugs. I couldn't have done it without my buddy helping out with the wiring part of the task. Could not do it again by myself. Instructions reccomend a professional do it. So if you have never messed with a new cars wiring harnest do not attempt alone! Now I see why Honda charges around $250 for the install of foglights.

·
Registered
503 Posts
And isn't it easier on the Coupe, too? Do you have the switch on the left stalk or on the dash? I looked at the sedan instructions and they have the switch on the stalk.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PokeyD16Z said:
And isn't it easier on the Coupe, too? Do you have the switch on the left stalk or on the dash? I looked at the sedan instructions and they have the switch on the stalk.
yeah the switch is to the left. The trouble was disassembling all the plastic panels below the steering wheel. Then you have to unplug 3 main harnest plugs from the fuse box just to plug in 2 single wires into the back of 2 of them, which are the illumination wires for the dash. I guess it wasn't really all that bad, but it does take a little bit of wiring experience.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jbbrann said:
The make some film called laminex that is made for headlights.
Thanks again jbbrann. :thumb:
I ordered some of this stuff off of their website www.lamin-x.com. This is some awesome stuff. Come to find out it's a local company and this is the stuff they put on the headlights of the GT racecars you see on speed channel. I'm not gonna go that far but it looks great on my foglights and there more protected now from rocks and debris flying up off the road. I'm gonna go ahead and put another layer on tomorrow. It also comes in blue.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody know what would keep the foglights on even when the bright lights and or the headlights off?

Is it an easy fix? Right now the fogs go off when I flip the bright lights on and when I turn the headlights off. I want to be able to work the foglights myself with the switch. :help:

Heres the PDF foglight instructions if that helps any.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_coupe/foglightkit.pdf

I'm thinking it's just a simple relay I need to bypass.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Legally in the US, fog lights and high beams on at the same time are a no no. Can't do that. I'm waitnig on the Civics repair manual with the cars' wiring diagrams. I want to also control the fog light from the switch and turn it on anytime. But it looks good on your car. Does it help out at night alot? Thinking of getting a set.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
acetech808 said:
But it looks good on your car. Does it help out at night alot? Thinking of getting a set.
Thanks for the compliment, they do help light up directly in front of the car and the lines on the road.

BTW..I put two layers of lamin-x on them which is a no no.
Two layers caused it to burn the laminx somehow, so if you do get this lamin-x to protect your fogs, only put 1 layer on, and it won't burn.

I called lamin-x today and told them what happened and they said they would send me another sheet.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
the factory fog install is fairly easy. The cutting of the bumper can be a bit of a pain.. i went a little over on one side.

The wiring is easy as long as your familiar with electronics.

took me like 4 hrs to do the install

1 - 18 of 18 Posts