8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm ready to spend the money to get great sound quality. Little back ground: I've had several systems in the past with speakers from Boston, Eclipse, & Pioneer; HU's from Sony(not my choice), Alpine, & Pioneer; amps from Sony, Rockford Fosgate, & Cliff Designs; and all my subs have been JL's (2x 10W0's, 12W6v2, & 13.5W1) All sounded decent but I want awesome :smile:

I've got my deck- an Alpine IVA-W205. Now on to speakers

I think I've pretty much decided on Focal's 165K2 Power components. But I haven't been able to find a huge amount of reviews. The ones I've found have praised these speakers tremendously but I don't know if those people are biased due to the price. I haven't been able to listen to them because no one carries them locally but I have heard their polyglass series and was impressed. I'm assuming that if the K2P's improve on these all around then I should be happy.

What are everybody's thoughts on these components? On Focal in general? Are these worth the money?

Also, on a side note, I'l be buying these mainly because of the resent flood of Christmas money I received soooo.. as always, I have to decide whether to spend all that money on one thing(Focal's) or a few things (Shift boot, 9006 rebased Phillips D2R's, red H emblems, and alot of Squash air spencer refills) then use the rest of the money to start saving for the speakers again. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long post...Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Focal 165 K2P?
I own them and love them.
I've had them in my '99 Civic for 2 years and will be installing them in my '08 soon.
If you like the Polyglass, you might just love the K2Ps. Overall nicer sound-smoother highs, more defined midrange.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I had these on my 98 civic that I sold back in July. IMHO, they are tough and sound brilliant, even at high volume levels (with the right amp of course). I value crisp and clear highs over bass anyday (I do like bass though :lildevil:).
They were powered by a Zapco Studio 150 two channel amp. One of the cleanest 2 channel amps ever made!! This was all ran through a Zapco eq.
Just keep in mind for sound quality purposes, a real audiophile knows that it still starts with the head unit. Followed by a close tie between amp and the speaker itself.

A little off topic.....I did sell my system with my 98 and it sure was a sad day. The stereo in my new 07 si is not bad, but nothing compared to what I used to have. After 3 stolen systems, dealing with insurance, and ALWAYS tweaking the sound, it seems like a relief to just have a decent stock stereo. Hope this helps :wavey:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Ive installed many of brands as and installer and the K2Ps are deffinitly my favorite. Very clean versitile speakers. I must stress though, you MUST put a GOOD amp on them. Id say either a focal amp or some other high end, nothing you can buy at best buy or crutchfield.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your comments. Feeling better about them. Pretty sure I'm gona go with them. Already have the amp- Alpine PDX 4.100.

Another question- I've seen the the K2P's in eBay stores from sellers with a great feedback store for $50-150 cheaper than where I was going to buy them, should I trust these stores that are not authorized resellers? Sonicelectronix has em for $599 Iguess I'm ready to spend the money, but I'd like to save a little if I could. Has anyone seen these for cheaper in a another "reputable" store?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
sonic is a decent store.

The extra $ you pay to buy authorized is for peace of mind. Also, IIRC, Focal is one company who've had issues with their product being copied and sold as Focals but are really fakes. If focal is the company I'm thinking of, they have a whole section on their website dedicated to tellilng fakes from real ones.

You're already spending $600... might as well add $50 to that and buy local authorized.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if the online price were 50% less than the local store I could see buying them online. But for only 20% less (assuming that the local price is around $750) I would buy them locally. Then if you have any issues you have someone to go back to.

That PDX 4.100 should run them nicely.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry I think I wasn't clear. Local isn't an option. My local authorized places wanted $700 plus tax for the Polyglass series so I can imagine what hey would charge if they ordered some K2P's for me. I was assuming that Sonic was authorized, but now I'm seeing that Focal doesn't authorize online dealers. I can deal with the risk of something going wrong down the road like blowing them or w/e. I guess what I'm worried about is getting them and they sound like **** because they're Chinese knock-offs. Am I pretty safe from getting a knock-off if I go with SonicElectronix even if their not authorized?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yep, it was Focal I was thinking of:

"Attention Potential Customers:
Focal-America distributes high-end car speakers through its network of selected authorized dealers and to better protect the best interest of its customers, we do not condone the purchase of any of our products obtained through any unauthorized means.

In order for our high standards to be met, we do not authorize our Focal dealers to sell Focal-America's products online as those found online may be of uncertain origin. Be aware that we often deal with upset customers who purchased Focal through an unauthorized source and have subsequently discovered that they bought counterfeit, defaced or broken product. Therefore, Focal-America assumes no responsibility and will not provide after sale service, support or warranty coverage for any of our products that have been purchased through unauthorized retailers, or that have serial numbers removed, erased or have otherwise been tampered with.

Our authorized dealers offer a full factory warranty on all Focal-America products. Focal-America Products obtained with removed, erased or tampered with serial numbers do not have any factory warranty. Every Focal component of every Focal product has a serial number. The serial number is really the I.D. of the product, its certificate of origin. If we don't have that I.D. we simply cannot verify the product’s authenticity.

Focal-America repairs and warranties are handled exclusively through Focal authorized dealers. If you buy from a non-authorized dealer, all repairs, warranties and support will have to be handled by the non-authorized dealer."

Your best bet is to call some of these stores and talk with them about return. IMO, sonicelectronix is a safe buy. Also, woofersetc is a decent company. Focal 165K2P UV (Upgraded Version) - Focal 6.5" PolyKevlar Power Components

But, let me ask you something here (rather suggest something). Are you going to go the distance on this install? Are you going to make sure that the doors are seriously deadened; that you have plenty of closed-cell foam behind the speaker; that the speaker is decoupled from the door? If not, there's no reason to buy $700 speakers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But, let me ask you something here (rather suggest something). Are you going to go the distance on this install? Are you going to make sure that the doors are seriously deadened; that you have plenty of closed-cell foam behind the speaker; that the speaker is decoupled from the door? If not, there's no reason to buy $700 speakers.
Yeah being as it's my first attempt at deadening, I can't say it will be perfect but I've been reading up on it here and elsewhere. I guess basically I just want fantastic sound. It doesn't have to be perfect as I'm not a real audiophile, but I want to be drawn into the music I'm listening to. I'm willing to spend the money, I just don't have unlimited funds. What I don't want to do is cheap out and not be satisfied with how my system sounds. My last system's front set up was Boston SL60's and it just didn't do it for me. If you have any suggestions that would maybe be a better deal for the performance, my ears are always open. Thanks man

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
What headunit do you have? Or do you plan to upgrade that, too?

I ask because, if it were me, I'd go with an active setup and ditch passives altogether. But, you'll have to have a headunit or external processor that will give you the x-over points you need. In addition you'll get alot more customizable tuning options.

My first thought to all of this was that if you're willing to spend $700+ on a passive speaker set, why not go the distance and go active, which will allow you to pick and choose your own drivers and then make the install count.

You seem pretty level headed and you understand that it takes more than speakers to get good sound.

So, let me know where you're at with things, and your budget. I'd be more than happy to give you my personal opinions. Also, would you be willing to buy used if you went a different route?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would get a pxa-h701 eq to go with your w205- connect them optically. and go active on all speackers. to me install and tuning is vital in a good system. i've seen guys spend $10K on a system and it sounds like crap. and dont take the word of someone that a certain piece of equipment sounds good- it's subjective everyone hears different. sometimes i've told people "no" when they want to listen to my car-cuz they wont apreciate good music- they just want their car to "thump".

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What headunit do you have? Or do you plan to upgrade that, too?

I ask because, if it were me, I'd go with an active setup and ditch passives altogether. But, you'll have to have a headunit or external processor that will give you the x-over points you need. In addition you'll get alot more customizable tuning options.

My first thought to all of this was that if you're willing to spend $700+ on a passive speaker set, why not go the distance and go active, which will allow you to pick and choose your own drivers and then make the install count.

You seem pretty level headed and you understand that it takes more than speakers to get good sound.

So, let me know where you're at with things, and your budget. I'd be more than happy to give you my personal opinions. Also, would you be willing to buy used if you went a different route?
Headunit's an Alpine IVA-W205. I would really rather avoid going active at this stage. I really don't have the time, money, patience, and most importantly, the ear's for it. I would rather spend between $300-700 on a nice sounding passive setup with up to another $200 for install/deadening. I've been looking at some other choices for staying passive, specifically Rainbow, CDT... Have any recommendations as far as specific line? Any insights about these brands?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I own the 165K2P's I love them, however I am running them passively, I cannot wait to get them tuned up w/ the DCX-730. I would shop around, I bought my BNIB from a going out of business local focal audio dealer for $300. Also I would talk to 6spdcoupe on caraudio.com or diymobileaudio.com forums too. I know he does alot w/ Rainbow comps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you should check out this company called hertz and check there Mille series components.. REDICULOUS... im picking up a pair hopefully by the end of the month.. i was in my local shop today and listening to them at 75watts(they run 150rms) honestly had to be the crispest and clearest at such high volumes ive ever heard.. he sold me on them as soon as he was clipping the amp and the speakers didnt crack or distort or anything same clarity from low volume to maxx
a little expensive they are 2100 for the front 2 but they guys getting me a demo deal for 1600 since they will be the first ones to get installed in my area so they need a lil exposure but very very very much worth everypenny..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.