8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience buying Focal Speakers on Ebay ?
Just wondering how good the quality is from Ebay, as the price is quite a bit lower than buying from a dealer.
I am looking at the Focal 165 V1 component speakers, but there is also the 165 v2, as well as upgraded versions.Not really too sure which model is the best to go for. Any recommendations ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Focal on Ebay is a big no no as Focal is concerned. I wouldnt trust ebay sellers since legit ones have serial numbers all over them and the dealer can get in some **** for selling on ebay. If you do get them on there just dont expect any kind of warranty.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I wouldnt touch it, there ARE Focal knockoffs out there, and I wouldnt take the chance on eBay or ANY of those cheapo websites, I mean its one thing to buy legit merchandise at unauthorized dealers, its something else to but counterfeits in any form. . . as as far as im concerned those UV models are the most fishy, since there exists no such products in the Focal line, either on the website, or the catalog

·
Registered
716 Posts
OP, since you're in Canada, you might want to check out some of your local independent shops. Between the current currency exchange rate, shipping, duties/tax and brokerage fees and the fact that a lot of the inventory your local dealer was purchased last spring/summer when the canadian dollar was on par with the USD, they may be willing to offer you deal because they just want to get rid of it because the economy is so bad. Keep in mind how much markup their is on car audio equipment, especially speakers. Go in with CASH, (no debit or interac ) knowing exactly what you want and don't ask them any product questions or ask for a demo or any waste their time. You might even be able to get it at a price that makes ebay and woofersetc look like full retail without haggling. From recent personal experience....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at possibly buying Focal through "Woofersetc", but in googling the company, it looks like they may deal in grey market equipment.
Anyone here ever dealt with WoofersEtc, and if so, good or bad ???

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have heard of Woofersetc but they sell a ton of stuff that is not even supposed to be sold online, so I would be weary! I have personally bought from Hifisoundconnection.com and they seem to be pretty solid.

I live in Canada as well and have a set of RD component speakers BNIB for sale if you are interested.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Today woofersetc has the 165v1 for $259 USD. At today's exchange rate of ~1.23, it works out to about $319CAD There's a shop close to me that has them for on sale for $359CAD. After you add their respective extras (i.e. tax, shipping, duties and brokerage if it applies, etc) it might end up being cheaper and you'll have full warranty since they're an authorized focal dealer in canada. I have no affiliation with this shop, but they're legit and have been around for years. If you want their website to check it out (you can order from them online), let me know and i'll send you the link.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually contacted Focal direct, and they told me under no cirumstances, are WooferEtc associated with Focal.
Focal has had numerous complaints of people buying through them, and when the speakers arrive, the serial numbers have actually been grinded off the speakers.
So anyone ever considering this website , may want to think twice.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Focal has had numerous complaints of people buying through them, and when the speakers arrive, the serial numbers have actually been grinded off the speakers.
So anyone ever considering this website , may want to think twice.
There's a reason for this. Without getting into details, I can tell you that the guys at woofersetc are good people - I have dealt with them personally, many times. But yes, you won't get the factory focal warranty if purchased online - that much is true.

Hans

1 - 11 of 11 Posts