8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using foam baffles for their front door speakers. I was thinking of sound deadening the doors, and thought foam baffles might provide a better sound from a new set of components, but i've heard that these might actually kill bass response. Not sure which route to go. Any opinions our there?

BTW, this is my first post. So far, i've been able to get an AVIC-D3 installed along with my old 12" pioneer and Crossfire CFA402 in my 2008 4 DR EX GG. Not happy with the sound, so i'm going to install new infinity kappa components 60.7 in the doors, and i'm going to try out an 8" polk momo in the trunk, both run off of an alpine PDX 4.100. Hopefully, things work out, but everying is on order right now, arriving tomorrow, so i'm just in the planning stages right now.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
They're supposedly "acoustically transparent" according to a test I saw on DIYma a while back.

I have no personal experience with these, but from the guys there, it seems that the common method is to cut the bottom portion off so that you're not "sealing" the speaker up. Otherwise you're essentially putting a speaker that wasn't designed for a sealed enclosure, IN a sealed enclosure and that will effect the output.

My best advise to give you is to order an extra one if you can. Then do a comparison. Cut the bottom portion so that the speaker has a "roof" and listen to it. Then have the other speaker completely sealed. A simple A/B comparison should tell you what you need to know rather than some guesses by us.

But, let us know what you find out. :)

Oh, and good job on the PDX. :thumb:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Don't worry about the baffles killing the bass response, if you're using a sub to produce the bass or augment the bottom end.
Here is what I would do:
1. Stuffing the baffle with polyester fiber will make it acoustically bigger.
2. Use the Alpine amp's built in HP crossover.
This will help increase the life of the Kappa's, allow the amp to run cooler and decrease distortion when the system is played loud.

Finally, tweak the crossover points and sub level so the components blend in.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
moxom said:
Don't worry about the baffles killing the bass response, if you're using a sub to produce the bass or augment the bottom end.
Here is what I would do:
1. Stuffing the baffle with polyester fiber will make it acoustically bigger.
2. Use the Alpine amp's built in HP crossover.
This will help increase the life of the Kappa's, allow the amp to run cooler and decrease distortion when the system is played loud.

Finally, tweak the crossover points and sub level so the components blend in.
If you plan on crossing your mids low, then I would not seal up the speaker. It might be alright if you're crossing high (200hz+), but IMO, crossing your fronts higher than 100hz is a disservice to the money you've spent...and I don't know anyone that can truly have a sub crossed higher than 100hz to blend with the front stage. I'm sure there are people who can, but I imagine it's few and far between.

I dunno, I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing...I just think that sealing this speaker up would not do any more good than just letting it be.

In all actuality, these speakers are designed for in-door applications...there's really no need for a foam baffle. The rain and elements were surely accounted for when this speaker was being designed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I am aiming for a lower cross-over setting for the speakers. Mainly because they can handle it, they will have the power, and the doors will be deadened and I think a little midbass is nice. My HU has a couple of HPF settings, and the amp has a crossover built in too, so i've got some flexibility to adjust the filters. Finding the ideal mix, might be difficult though. I was thinking right around 100. I'm thinking these damn baffles might just be more trouble then they are worth. In the end, i guess i'm thinking, whats the point. We'll see if i get inspired. I might give them a quick try, just to know what i wasted my 8 bucks on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I tried a set about 8 years ago (got them for free) and didn’t like them. First the window would hit them on the way down and second because I thought they hampered the low end too much. I didn’t use a sub so I had to get more bass out of the doors. I took them out after about two months.

jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, these things are useless. Just tried them. No improvement at all. I suppose i should have known better. In anycase, these things didn't sound all that bad really, but they didn't improve anything either. I did notice a huge difference when i used dynamat and edead though. But man, what a pain in the butt. That goo stuff off the weather shield, sticky sticky sticky and dynamat is sharp as a mother. I didn't go crazy on the stuff though. All in all, i think dynamat justifies its price. You can feel the difference between the two materials, and while edead does the trick and is easier to use, i'd go all dynamat if order more sound deadener.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts