8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help and Shed some insight. Fluctuating Idle after cleaning Throttle Body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i decided to clean my throttle body on my 07 civic si coupe(wish i never did),What i did was I took off my intake and wiped the inside of the throttle body with a brand new microfibre towel cloth. I then pushed open the butterfly and wiped gently a bit more. I put everything back together correctly considering it wasnt to hard dissableming just the intake. I am worried i might have screwed somthing up bad. When i start my car its idle will fluctuate a bit higher then normal and then go back down to normal idle after a good 15 seconds of idling. When i shift gears the rpms seem to hold themselves alot more.(rev hang) and when i throw my car in neutral while rolling the rpm will fluctuate from 1000 to 2500. I drove on this for about a week now and is getting very annoying, frustrating, and stressful. I performed the idle relearn process ( i unplugged the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes, turn ignition key to on position waited 3 seconds, turned the car on and held rpm at 3000 till fans turned on. Then i let the car idle for about 10 mins. This did not help! i am worried i damaged my computer. Will hondata fix this? will getting a new throttle body fix this? please help i wouldn't wish this upon any fellow 8th gen owner.. even tho it was my fault

·
Registered
488 Posts
Do the relearn process by disconnecting the battery and then letting it run until the fans turn on. Give it a couple days and you should see a major improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive alrdy driven 3000 km's on it still hasnt went away , i got fed up and went to honda and got a new throttle body and gasket and still didnt go away... they are saying i need a whole new pcm, how is that possible? can just touching the throttle body butterfly really ruin the whole pcm ? shed some insight please... im getting annoyed of this problem and wasted to much money to fix it already.. honda has tried idle relearn twice after they installed new throttle body, they even put my old stock intake and airbox back on just to be sure

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm on the same boat as you, just cleaned my TB yesterday and I have same problem. If you ever find the fix for this, let me know. I'm going to go to a friends of mine who only work with Hondas and I hope he has a fix for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, I went to the my friend's place and we swapped my TB for a TSX TB and it work perfectly, put back mine and fluctuation occurred again. So my TB went bad. Time to upgrade to the J35...
Good luck with your TB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You cannot manually push open a electronic Tb on any car the way to clean them is key on position and have someone push Gas pedal down if u do push it open u risk stripping the gears in it that open it that's why it was fluctuating trust me don't do it

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I forgot about this thread, but just to let you know, the issue got fixed by itself...sucks to spend money on a new TB, but hey, at least is an upgrade..

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
/\ yeah read the posts above, you can't push it open or you'll break it. Do the idle relearn, and if that does not work then you need to pick up a new / used throttle body.

I guess these TB's are very delicate, and the risks of messing something up from manually moving the plate are quite high. Not 100% though, because I moved mine once... I'll never do it again though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tps calibration needed

ok so to everyone who has this problem i want to stop the insanity of hearing people replacing good throttle bodies and some saying the dealer has to reflash your pcm.. in some cases if you man handle your throttle body you could damage it but jeez im sure you guys are being careful RIGHT? So that being said im a tech and have been in the automotive trade over 25 years doing electrical diagnosis and tune up so when i cleaned my throttle body and my car started acting this way i naturally needed to find out why... first thing i did was a idle relean which did nothing n i did it 4 times..so i hooked up the scanner and looked at all my pid's n low and behold the tp sensors were not agreeing so i went into special functions on the scanner and did a tps calibration..fired it up and idle went down to 750 perrrrrrrffffffect...the rev hang was gone or back to normal cause as all of us know these 8th gens do that on factory tune.. unfortunately this action has to be done by the use of a scanner and no it doesn't have to be a hds from honda it could be any good scanner with bi directional controls a $100 scanner from the parts store wont work...so if you clean your throttle and notice your idle stays at 900 rpm and when you come to a rolling stop in neutral your rpms shoot up to 2500 rpm till you come to a complete stop or you use your front window defrost and throw a p0507 "idle higher than expected" all these problems are caused by the same problem "TPS CALIBRATION" to all of you that went to honda and they couldn't address this problem its a shame cause they should know this..Now i know people are saying the car fixed itself after driving it a couple months or whatever but really can you drive you car with it bucking along while trying to find a parking spot or going to a drive through and you guys that have this know what i mean..it will fix itself after a while but it will take a long time for the pcm to learn all the values needed..hope this sheds some light guys...peace.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
ok so to everyone who has this problem i want to stop the insanity of hearing people replacing good throttle bodies and some saying the dealer has to reflash your pcm.. in some cases if you man handle your throttle body you could damage it but jeez im sure you guys are being careful RIGHT? So that being said im a tech and have been in the automotive trade over 25 years doing electrical diagnosis and tune up so when i cleaned my throttle body and my car started acting this way i naturally needed to find out why... first thing i did was a idle relean which did nothing n i did it 4 times..so i hooked up the scanner and looked at all my pid's n low and behold the tp sensors were not agreeing so i went into special functions on the scanner and did a tps calibration..fired it up and idle went down to 750 perrrrrrrffffffect...the rev hang was gone or back to normal cause as all of us know these 8th gens do that on factory tune.. unfortunately this action has to be done by the use of a scanner and no it doesn't have to be a hds from honda it could be any good scanner with bi directional controls a $100 scanner from the parts store wont work...so if you clean your throttle and notice your idle stays at 900 rpm and when you come to a rolling stop in neutral your rpms shoot up to 2500 rpm till you come to a complete stop or you use your front window defrost and throw a p0507 "idle higher than expected" all these problems are caused by the same problem "TPS CALIBRATION" to all of you that went to honda and they couldn't address this problem its a shame cause they should know this..Now i know people are saying the car fixed itself after driving it a couple months or whatever but really can you drive you car with it bucking along while trying to find a parking spot or going to a drive through and you guys that have this know what i mean..it will fix itself after a while but it will take a long time for the pcm to learn all the values needed..hope this sheds some light guys...peace.
good info

So in the process of moving the plate manually, the tps must be getting forced out of calibration sometimes, confusing the sh*t out of the ecu. For anyone who has messed theirs up, did you feel any gears stripping, or a slipping feeling? Did you play around with the plate, or slam it open or closed?

When I moved mine I was very gentle and could hear the gears and motor moving at the same rate the whole time, no feeling of a slip or stripping sound.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just had that issue from installing my SRI. It seems that I had rust at the back of my tb. I brought it to my friend who works at honda, he buffed out the rust, reset my tp sensors and did a couple updates on my ecu.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Same problem after installing a sc kit. Also cleaned and pressed open the throttle plate. No luck on the idle re learn.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What function exactly ? Please post screen shots. I plugged a 10k$ snap on computer today and the best I could was reset the ECM and PCM through oh and activate the windshield fluid hah

1 - 20 of 65 Posts