8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple days i've taken my FA5 above 110mph+. And turning the wheel slightly at that speed if feels as if the car is floating instead of hugging the road. When going on freeway curves at that speed i feel it start it float, and i slow down. My tires are good Falken W speed rated. And at lower speeds the handling is great. When i comes to driving i know i need to let go and just throw it in the curve and let it stick its just at that speed i don't want to take the chance of wiping out if i just pushing the car to hard. I just wanted to know if anyone else had similar experience.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Its convenient for you, but scary for the other people that you are driving around. Keep it on the track, and don't endanger yourself or other people testing the limits of your car.

As for the floating, I have noticed at higher speeds that my car does the same thing. I would look into getting the HFP suspension to lower it a bit, but I am only guessing that it would help a little.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've never gone that fast in my fg2, and don't plan to...

However, in regards to the "floating," it is noticable at slower speeds. I put a progress rsb on, and it seemed to help a little. I've always wondered if the floating was a product of riding on 17+ wheels!? maybe it's a function of the "razor-quick Electric Power Steering!?" I'm also curious if the HFP suspension would change that at all.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ummm, I hit 100+ on the on-ramp today but it was a straight line and quickly backed off once I hit the highway. I highly suggest you don't hit those type of speeds where any sort of turning is involved.

However, I'm sure that suspension work would help with that.

You should also be aware that our steering changes based upon our speed:

The Civic Si and Civic Hybrid feature a sport-oriented speed sensitive Electric Power Steering (EPS) that increases power assist at low speeds and reduces power assist at high speeds.

·
Registered
693 Posts
OP-
At speeds like that your car is like an airplane wing - more air going over the top than below=less air pressure over the top=lift. The only thing keeping your car down is gravity. You definitely have less traction at those speeds.
Also, your tires are warping at that speed, which will also cause you to have less traction.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fastest i've had it up to was 133 in a straight line. i normally don't got anywhere near that fast on public roads. I do want to see what the limits of what the car and myself are. I autocross when i can but that isn't about top end speed. And there aren't many events at @ mid-ohio i can get into. But when i can i will go there after i've put in a tunable suspension setup to see what i can really do. I just need to see of anyone else has noticed the same thing with their car or if i need to have mine looked at.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
At 126mph in a straight line, my FG2 felt like it was glued to the ground. With each lane change the car still felt stable, and at no time did the car ever feel loose, or like it was about to break away. Of course, I wasn't hitting an exit ramp at 100mph either.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
MellowGato said:
OP-
At speeds like that your car is like an airplane wing - more air going over the top than below=less air pressure over the top=lift. The only thing keeping your car down is gravity. You definitely have less traction at those speeds.
Also, your tires are warping at that speed, which will also cause you to have less traction.

:yeahthat:

Some airplanes have a take off speed of 90 mph (piper cub i think) and you are doing 110.

Ok my stories now.
I blew past a jetta at 115, because i got a good run on an on ramp and just kept my foot in it, and then slowed to 78. He then caught me and blew by me and then flashed his hazards at me. Did I just lose a race that never even existed in the first place?

Also, i got my 94 GSR up to 141 at 7200 in 5th gear and was still accelerating. Talk about a car getting light. My ass has never been clinched so tight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sirbelch said:
:yeahthat: ...Ok my stories now...
...Talk about a car getting light. My ass has never been clinched so tight.
You haven't lived until you've made some top speed runs in a 68 VW Bus. Throw in a little crosswind and 72mph feels like 240mph.:eek:hnoes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts