8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here.
I just purchased a 2008 civic Si.
Only problem is, is that the blinkers and hazards don’t work.
The guy said is the relay.
Questions are:
How can I get to the relay without take out the the plastic underneath the steering wheel....
Is it most likely the relay that’s broken?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you sure it is a relay? If so, the relay should be in one of the fuse boxes, not under the steering wheel. But I don't think the Civic has relays for the turn signals. The MICU runs the hazards and the turn signals I believe.

Is anything else not working? Does anything happen (i.e does the dash indicator flash but the exterior lights don't? that sort of thing).

Also, have you checked all the fuses in the underhood fuse box? I don't think the turn signals have their own fuse, so I sort of doubt a fuse is bad unless something else is not working also.

If the only thing is the turn signals, then the wiring diagram sort of indicates its either in the MICU or in the speedo cluster, or there is a loose connection somewhere. DId the previous owner do any modifications to the stereo or in that area that might have disturbed the connectors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it is a relay? If so, the relay should be in one of the fuse boxes, not under the steering wheel. But I don't think the Civic has relays for the turn signals. The MICU runs the hazards and the turn signals I believe.

Is anything else not working? Does anything happen (i.e does the dash indicator flash but the exterior lights don't? that sort of thing).

Also, have you checked all the fuses in the underhood fuse box? I don't think the turn signals have their own fuse, so I sort of doubt a fuse is bad unless something else is not working also.

If the only thing is the turn signals, then the wiring diagram sort of indicates its either in the MICU or in the speedo cluster, or there is a loose connection somewhere. DId the previous owner do any modifications to the stereo or in that area that might have disturbed the connectors?
Yea that’s all that’s not working. Could I get a new MCIU? Or the oem fuse box?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not sure I would immediately jump to replacing the MICU. It is expensive unless you can find one at a salvage yard, and it might have to be programmed to work - not sure. And it is the underdash fuse box.

I think you need to first rule out wiring issues using a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright.
I have another question,
Does the 08 Honda has its own fuse for the turn signals? Or no?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe the turn signals and the hazard flashers both are on Fuse #10 in the underhood fuse box. Are you 100% sure the fuse is good? Might swap a couple around to make sure if nothing else (swap the same size obviously).

Also, Fuse 23 has something to do with it, but I think if #23 was bad then other things might not work. But it appears that only the flashers are on #10.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know what size the fuse is? Also when you say 10. Is it the fuse under the number 10? Or is the fuse it’s self 10?
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Unfortunately, I think your next step will have to be checking the wire harness. If it were me, I'd grab a volt meter and start working the way back from the switches and see where you do and don't have voltage.

The following link has schematics I believe. It is for a 2006, but I suspect it isn't much different for a 2008.

http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/manual2.html

Hopefully it doesn't lead back to a bad MICU. My son's 2006 had this issue where the overhead light would not come on when you opened the left rear door, but all other doors would turn it on. Was just a nuisance. But then the immobilizer stopped recognizing the key, and the problem was the MICU. I think there was a TSB out on that specific issue.

So, sometimes weird things can be due to a bad MICU.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m in the mciu, I can’t seem to find the relay for the flasher. Do you know where it is? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can i use an Mciu from any Honda year/ make or does it have to be the exact year/model.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know. You could check P/Ns for each year. I do recall that the MICU has to be programmed to recognize your keys since the immobilizer is part of it. I'd suggest you do search on this or other Civic sites to verify.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts