8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im planning to buy a 2006 civic Si...manual...but ive never driven a manual car before...can anyone briefly teach me the basics? thanks alot
or is there some links that teaches? thx man..appreciate for your help^^

· Registered
321 Posts
The concept is easy but you would do better with practice on an old beater.
You probably already know to press the clutch pedal down when shifting then releasing the clutch pedal once you've shifted into the next gear, right?

If you want to know about gearing, think about a bicycle. Low gears are good for starting because you need less power to start the bike moving. High gears are good for maintaining an already established speed.

If you floor the gas pedal in a low gear, your rate of speed increase is much greater but you've got a lower top speed. Then you shift to the next higher gear. Less torque but higher top speed. If you floor in say 6th gear, you'll probably notice very little change in speed.

Got it? :)

· Registered
321 Posts
I thought I might also add that the clutch doesn't simply disengage and engage. Pressure is involved (feathering the clutch). For example, you'll feel when the clutch starts to catch. Do not feather too much or too long because you can wear it out. This is because your flywheel will be spinning at a different rate unless the clutch is fully engaged.

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
TT123 said:
Hi there, im planning to buy a 2006 civic Si...manual...but ive never driven a manual car before...can anyone briefly teach me the basics? thanks alot
or is there some links that teaches? thx man..appreciate for your help^^
The Si is not a good first car for learning to drive manual! I learned how to drive manual on a '71 super beetle then I moved up to a honda civic.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup got it...i think i got the idea of driving a manual car...

well ~racnjsn04~ ive got a car already right now...its a 04 civic...but its auto...so theres no point wasting money to buy another car to learn manual :p but thx for advice...maybe i'll find a friend's car and screw around with his manual..lol

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
TT123 said:
yup got it...i think i got the idea of driving a manual car...

well ~racnjsn04~ ive got a car already right now...its a 04 civic...but its auto...so theres no point wasting money to buy another car to learn manual :p but thx for advice...maybe i'll find a friend's car and screw around with his manual..lol
Great idea, test drive some brand new manual cars. And remember if you can't find 'em just grind 'em :)

· Registered
805 Posts
Well the Si is going to be my first manual also. I have driven manual with some of my friends cars, but I guess it wouldnt be the same as owning a manual.

I think that my concerns are that what happens when Im in traffic, have to slow down, say if Im going 60-70mph, and have to slow down to 10-25 mph, what do I do when the speed starts to pick up, such as 70 to 25, is there a shift change. Because if Im in 5th or 6th at high speed (meaning 60-70) and I have to slow down because of traffic, or some random idiot, its easy to in an auto, but what type of down shifting is recommended in those situations.

Another question is how do I deal in a shopping center, because I've heard people stall a lot in those situations also....

And does the clutch have to be engaged every time that you brake?

I know its not fuel efficient to just floor it in lower gears? that still a correct assumption that I have?

I have read about the drive by wire, does that mean the clutch engages as soon as u press on the clutch or does different pressure also mean that u have to engage it all the way....

Thanks TT123 for bring this to light, I didnt have the balls to do it myself earlier..... :aaa:

· Registered
321 Posts
When traffic slows, drop down to a lower gear. From a stop you should be in 1st. From a slow roll (such as after applying brakes during a turn) 2nd would be good. For the 10-25 mph, 2nd gear would probably be what you'd want to be in when you need to accelerate.

If you're decelerating, you can leave the gear where it is while applying the brake (clutch engaged). This is not necessary but I do this to use the engine to help brake. I don't downshift to engine brake. Hard on the clutch. Just leave the shifter where it was but hit the clutch pedal as you approach 1000 RPM so you don't stall. THEN downshift. The alternative is to hit the clutch pedal while braking so you're essentially braking in neutral.

It's probably not fuel efficient to floor it in a low gear but if you're flooring it to get a faster response and greater acceleration, you SHOULD be in a lower gear. What's the alternative? Flooring it in a high gear and only seeing a really slow change in speed? You'd be burning more gas in this scenario as well with nothing to show for it.

This question is only valid if you're going to be flooring it for long periods of time. :)

I don't know if the DBW will have any effect on the clutch. I thought it was just throttle. I know that you can still feather it if that's what you're asking. If it engaged suddenly you'll see a lot of jerkiness...

· Premium Member
1,294 Posts
start out by keeping the rpm's at or above 1000 rpms, no more then 1500 though and slowly let go of the clutch pedal. you'll feel it grab. once you get better at it, it'll be more of a smoother operation.

Then shift into the next gear once you reach about 3k - 4krpms, depends if your city or highway accelerating.

i don't like to downshift unless i have to. using your brakes to slow down is cheaper. downshift when you need to be in a lower gear to get more acceleration. Don't go back into first gear unless you are at a complete stop, 2nd gear should be fine 99% of the time. Don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal or you might end up wearing the disc out pretty quick when you least realize that you are actually applying a small amount of force on the pedal.

· Registered
47 Posts
start out by keeping the rpm's at or above 1000 rpms, no more then 1500 though and slowly let go of the clutch pedal. you'll feel it grab. once you get better at it, it'll be more of a smoother operation.

Then shift into the next gear once you reach about 3k - 4krpms, depends if your city or highway accelerating.

i don't like to downshift unless i have to. using your brakes to slow down is cheaper. downshift when you need to be in a lower gear to get more acceleration. Don't go back into first gear unless you are at a complete stop, 2nd gear should be fine 99% of the time. Don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal or you might end up wearing the disc out pretty quick when you least realize that you are actually applying a small amount of force on the pedal.
Do you have any tips on driving in the city, for example when i am at a red light i have a hard time keeping up with traffic at a dead stop..if i want to keep up with traffic my rpms are like a 4-5k in first gear and my shifts from 1-2 are also jerky....kinda getting depressed lol :sadbanana:
do you have any tips or tricks?

· Registered
12,539 Posts
Just remember, the most important peddle in the car is the brake peddle. If you get flustered trying to shift or whatever and are messing with the clutch instead of going for the brake, you might crash. You can ALWAYS pull on the shifter and pull the car out of gear without using the clutch in an emergency. Remember, you must master slowing down and stopping safely before you master accellerating.

· Registered
430 Posts
Do you have any tips on driving in the city, for example when i am at a red light i have a hard time keeping up with traffic at a dead stop..if i want to keep up with traffic my rpms are like a 4-5k in first gear and my shifts from 1-2 are also jerky....kinda getting depressed lol :sadbanana:
do you have any tips or tricks?
The reason why it's so jerky when you shift from 1st to 2nd is probably cuz you're letting off the clutch faster than you're hitting the gas pedal. I normally shift to higher gears around 3k and tend to skip gears cuz I get lazy shifting into all the gears especially in traffic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.