8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some free time this past week and decided to try first hand at making a fiberglass box. The result was alright, I messed up a little on the carpeting and the baffle. I didn't have the rights tools so I did it free handed and well it wasn't very pretty. I also got a little trim happy towards the end which resulted in my box being a little small but it's alright because the box was still within the recommended size for my sub.

Here's the mold.

Mold popped.

And finished!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Not too bad for a first go.

I've learned this from my first time... use garbage bags to cover up all of the surrounding area and keep it protected.

What size sub is that? An 8"? Looks like a small box. :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually did cover the area up. It was fine until it was time to clean up and I had a little accident.

The sub is an Image Dynamics idq10.

The box is on the small side, but I measured it and got around .35-.40 ft3 which is the lower end of the recommended size for the subs. I did add some polyfil in there so theoretically it should be ideal, i hope.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
dh29 said:
I actually did cover the area up. It was fine until it was time to clean up and I had a little accident.

The sub is an Image Dynamics idq10.

The box is on the small side, but I measured it and got around .35-.40 ft3 which is the lower end of the recommended size for the subs. I did add some polyfil in there so theoretically it should be ideal, i hope.
I didn't mean my post to sound like I was cracking on the size. It just does look small. But, I'm more used to seeing ported boxes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bikinpunk said:
I didn't mean my post to sound like I was cracking on the size. It just does look small. But, I'm more used to seeing ported boxes.
Oh you're fine. I didn't think your post was negative at all. But the box really is small. I was afraid it would be too small when I was finished.

As far as how it sounds, I don't know. I haven't hooked it up yet.

I'm in the process of putting some deadener down in the trunk and on the doors so i'll probably hook everything up once that is done and let you know.:biggrin:

·
Registered
791 Posts
looks kinda nasty lol

like some zerg infestation

i mean the "in the process" pics of course. Not the final product. Final looks pretty good

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good, it took my 3rd fiberglass box before I started making them look the way they "should". Now I use fleece from fabric stores, it holds more resin and is easier to pull over mdf frames to get the shapes I want, not to mention cheaper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks pretty good only thing to comment on is that it has quite a few air bubbles which can cause weakness in the enclosure , it looks like either you used a painting motion to apply the resin when you should of used a stabing motion or not enough adhesive spray on the back of the fiberglass mat when applying it .. tell you one thing though looks wayyyyy better then my first fiberglass project. but all in all great job .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the carpet finally got to me. I just couldn't stand the carpet being so badly done and not matching with the interior of the trunk, that I redid it.

Looks a lot better, only I got some of the adhesive spray on the carpet :Mad:

freq40hrtz said:
looks pretty good only thing to comment on is that it has quite a few air bubbles which can cause weakness in the enclosure , it looks like either you used a painting motion to apply the resin when you should of used a stabing motion or not enough adhesive spray on the back of the fiberglass mat when applying it .. tell you one thing though looks wayyyyy better then my first fiberglass project. but all in all great job .
I tried to mostly use the stippling motion but after doing that for a while I got lazy and did some pieces with a brushing motion. I know that's not the right way to do it, but I just got tired of poking at the thing.

Most of the air bubbles you see in the mold were sanded down with a dremel and more layers of glass was applied to it.

achapman said:
Out of curiosity, how did you calculate air space? Water?
That's exactly what I did, placed a baggie inside the box and filled it up with water then measured the amount of water and converted it to ft3. It gave me a rough idea as to how much air I had inside.

Also thanks for the all the compliments guys. It was fun trying and learning to do something new. Now I just don't know if I want to trash this box and make another, maybe a bigger one. :dancing:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
achapman said:
How did you attach the box to the car?
Since the box is molded to that area of the trunk it fits in snugly and doesn't move, sorta like a glove. I will probably latch it to the car later on just in case it gets stolen and I want insurance to cover it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts